Straight exhausts on R53

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by drPhilGandini, May 19, 2009.

1. haygood

haygood New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Jerry, are you sure you ended up with the version of the exhaust with the resonator alongside it? DrPhil removed the version without the resonator because of a horrible drone, he says. I've only heard good things about the resonator versions. The other possibility would be that the thing has a hole in it by now, or a broken weld. Be sure the system is operating at its best before you condemn it.

2. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    G4's got the drone thing about licked. No straight-back is going to be 'subtle', but minimal drone at highway speeds. You CAN hear it clearly, but it's not that brain-busting drone of the early systems. They continue efforts on "subtle", but there's a clear tradeoff between big HP numbers and sound...

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So, did Dr. Phil buy a new MINI or is he into something else now?

4. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Sr. Technical Consultant for company in the energy
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Yup, the resonator is there. I haven't gotten under it to check for holes or cracks. But I will soon because it's got the SES light on and the codes are pointing to the emissions stuff underneith. These are the codes: P2096, P1692 , P0136.

And Minidave, while doing research on this car before I bought it, I came across a thread where Dr. Phil had bought a Porsche.

And I'm looking for those pics of the smaller batteries. Tht would be a great thing and save me from fab'ing up a battery box!

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I'll look for them also. If anything, I will take a picture of one of the setups this weekend :Thumbsup:

6. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    He bought a Porsche Cayman S pretty much right after his MINI made it in the magasine.

Such a nice car...

Congrats to the new owner.

7. MrCooperS

MrCooperS New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hate to bring an old thread back to life but... currently I have a Borla Sport Exhaust in the GP. With the lack of rear seats, it's pretty damn loud and drones a bit. I like the noise but I think it can be refined. My Supersprint exhaust from my last R53 jumps to mind. It's very cabin friendly below 3200 RPMs but rips beyond that. I'm quite interested in the G4 straight exhaust, because of the material used, the company and it's potential. Thinking about the street set up, do you think it's louder in cabin than a Borla? Do you have any drones?

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: When you pulled the seats did you put a 'sound deadening kit' in or do a home made sound deadening system? Kits are out there.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    He has a GP. Came without rear seats.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    When I'd did my straight back exhaust with a rear seat delete I had to apply 2 layers dynamat to bring the exhaust level down inside the car.

I also used thick felt floor padding glued to the underside of my rear seat delete to muffle the extra sound.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Ear plugs woulda been easier.... :)

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Not really but I was able to dissolve any kidney stones with the ultrasonic vibrations.

13. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: "Hey! DaveO's peeing sand everybody!":wink::eek6::lol::lol:

Jason

14. MrCooperS

MrCooperS New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hmm good feedback. Will consider this as an option. I wish there are more videos / feedback about the G4 straight exhaust.

15. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    G4 has worked HARD to bring noise levels down on the R53 straight-back, but the little R53 popcorn poppers are TOUGH to quiet down. After more than 13 attempts (no foolin'!) at a "subtle" prototype, G4 has called it quits on the "subtle" system and resigned themselves that the G4 R53 exhaust will only be offered in "aggressive" and "race" versions.

The length of the R53 exhaust, combined with both the interior volume and the resonant frequencies of the bodyshell seem to create a convergence

G4 has found 12-15 HP - which is certainly noticeable - and the exhaust tone is rather good, so if you want an aggressive, powerful system with Corvette tips, G4's got that covered! But... subtle it's not.

16. MrCooperS

MrCooperS New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. That's great feedback, is this the most current information? I only ask because I see that they have a street set up on their site. Also, subtle may not be what I'm going for. Refined might be the better word. I love the popcorn poppers, but it's the droning that gets to me. Especially since the GP has a lack of rear seats. I wonder if anyone knows whether this is louder than the Borla Sports exhaust or not.

17. Cone Assassin

Cone Assassin Local Shop Owner

Jan 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I actually wear earplugs for every drive more than 20 minutes/above 75 MPH. I have them for my passengers as well.

18. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    I've driven the Borla Sport on my R53, and helped develop the aggressive and street versions of the G4 (the "street" is no longer offered since the front muffler wasn't working out the way they wanted).

The Borla makes sweet noise, especially in the 2200-2600ROM range, and calms downa bit on the highway. I never really noticed it making much power more than the stock exhaust.

The G4 makes tons of power (12++ on the dyno, as much as 15 on some R53's), and saves some 25lb total weight over the stock heavy system. It sounds quite sweet across the rev band, but can get loud on the highway. I wish I'd recorded mine when it was on!

Where are you located, and are you coming to Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix in July (www.pvgp.org)? You would be able to hear all those systems at once there...