Oh, the wicked web you weave...

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Metalman, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  2. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    When I retired I didn't even get a damn watch!

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    BMW Statement

BMW Group statement concerning the current discussion of diesel engines

updated Friday, September 25, 2015.

BMW Group is committed to observing the legal requirements in each country and fulfilling all local testing requirements.

In other words, our exhaust treatment systems are active whether rolling on the test bench or driving on the road.

Clear, binding specifications and processes are in place through all phases of development at the BMW Group in order to avoid wrongdoing.

Two studies carried out by the ICCT (International Council on Clean Transportation) have confirmed that the BMW X5 and 13 other BMW vehicles tested comply with the legal requirements concerning NOx emissions. No discrepancies were found in the X5 between laboratory-test and field-test NOx emissions.

The German magazine Auto Bild has published a clarification of their article released yesterday (September 24) concerning the emissions of a BMW X3 stating: “No evidence of emission manipulation by BMW…. The values mentioned in the document were only generated in a single, one hour-long road test. Auto BILD has no access to the details of this test trail, which might explain the discrepancies to the test cycle NEDC.†(NEDC stands for New European Driving Cycle)

BMW Group is willing to discuss our testing procedures with the relevant authorities and to make our vehicles available for testing at any time.

The importance of diesel engines in achieving CO2 targets

Policymakers worldwide, and in particular in the European Union, are setting tough standards for CO2 and other emissions. The 2020 targets in Europe can only be fulfilled through extensive use of modern diesel engines and further electrification.

The progress achieved so far in CO2 reduction in Europe is largely due to the use of diesel technology. Meeting future requirements will not be feasible without diesel drive trains, since a diesel engine emits roughly 15 to 20 per cent less CO2 on average than a comparable petrol engine.

At the BMW Group, we have invested a great deal in recent years in refining and optimizing diesel technology.

At BMW, diesel vehicles accounted for 38% of vehicles sold worldwide last year: Europe 80%; Germany 73%; US 6%. This represents approx. 20,000 vehicles in the US in 2014.

The Euro 6 emissions standard, which took effect on 1 September 2015 and is binding for all new vehicle registrations, improves both environmental and consumer protection.

To bridge the gap between test results and real-life fuel consumption and emissions, the European Union is working on a new test cycle (WLTP) and an emissions test for real driving situations, known as “real driving emissions†or RDE. We support the swift introduction of the new regulations to create clarity for consumers and the industry as quickly as possible.

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Seems like a sharp BMW stick in VW's eye, in a roundabout way, without naming names....

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Pre-emptive strike!

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you know the competition all smell the blood in the water. I suspect the timing of this statement has to do with Auto Bild's story but they were probably already planning some sort of press release. They may also hope the buying public will assume any company not confident enough to make a similar statement has something to hide...

7. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap, take that V-Dub!

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Bosch, VW Employees Reportedly Warned Against Using "Defeat Devices" Years Ago (carscoops.com)
    Full article here.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you are real quiet and listen carefully while standing in the halls of the house of VW, you might be able to hear a somewhat familiar sound...:eek6:

"delete, delete, delete, delete, delete, delete"

"shred, shred, shred, shred, shred, shred, shred"

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    VW's goose is cooked. I wonder how long until Benz & BMW join in VW's fun. Bet all the cheater's are scrambling around looking for a scapegoat.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    So far it seems Bosch was the smartest....

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Bosch is doing the big CYA. :yesnod:

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, since it has pretty much passed the short news cycle here in the US most people that use a car to get from point a to point b have forgotten about this already.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    They'll remember again whenever the fines are levied or if any other manufacturer is thrown under the same bus because the news folk will crank up the sirens again. Plus I'm betting the loyal VW customers (or previously loyal, as the case may be) are watching for news.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I'm sorry I find this all funny. The lying government is mad it was lied to! Thats rich. The chicken littles will run around telling us VW is killing us all and the sky is falling. Maybe they will have a summit about VW and Global Warming and they can all fly their private jets to it. All 1,700 jets so they can tell me how bad VW is and how I should change my ways.

If you take all the VW that cheated the test it won't come close to the fuel those 1,700 jets burned for just the Global Warming summit NOT EVEN CLOSE!

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I'll say this...
    Whenever I'm sitting in traffic and I'm behind a VW, I'll look to see if it has the TDI badge... Then I'll sniff... :p

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    VW stops car production!!!

Yes folks VW has decided to work only on public transit. Rail specifically.

[​IMG]

18. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    This thread is too funny! :)

This will slip to the back page soon. No biggie, none of us will be around to see the net affect.

:)

19. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Ford killed 27 people with the 3 door 5 passenger portable stove also known as a Pinto. GM killed 124 with bad ignition switches AFTER they became a subsidiary of the US Government.

VW cheated on a test only government bureaucrats and car haters care anything about, and they're probably going to get fined 500-1000 times MORE than GM and Ford combined, then the government will try to make sure that every Diesel VW is reprogrammed to run like crap...

That proves to me that the government cares far more about petty regulations and fine generation than it does about the lives of the citizens it "serves". (I'd like to see the media hoopla on how the government assesses a fine against itself...) G(ovt)M and Ford should pay fines of $1B to the families of the people who lost their lives. VW should be made to fix the cars to pass the test fairly WITHOUT compromising performance and pay some restitution to owners for their inconvenience. Also assess a $1000/ ft-lb of torque lost and for each MPG lost payable to owners if they're forced to live with a degradation of performance; AND pony up a 250K mile power train warranty.

Give them some (significant but fair)pain, make the owners whole, and remember that no lives were lost.

If I had the money lying about, I'd go buy a new (or as new as I could get) Diesel Beetle today.

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    More VW trouble: 2016 diesels have new suspect software (bigstory.ap.org)
    Full article here.