Do you manual?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Metalman, Apr 7, 2016.

1. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    #21 whaap, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    No, rev matching is bringing the revs up to where 'they will want to be' when you release the clutch in the new, lower gear. Blipping is a poor substitute for rev matching but is considered acceptable when heel/toeing.

p.s. If you ever drove a car without synchromesh you would learn that rev matching has to be more accurate than just blipping the throttle. Of course, today with all manual transmissions being synchronized blipping has become adopted as rev matching because it requires less skill.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Blipping the throttle accomplishes the same thing. When I blip the throttle you would never know I had downshifted. Now if you were talking about double-clutching.......it would be a more accurate statement

3. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I totally forgot about double clutching. Growing old isn't for wimps! :smile5:

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I'm presuming an '06 R53 qualifies now as an old classic. :Thumbsup:

5. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    This statement would carry more weight if it wasn't for the fact that I know you are at least a part-time paddle flapper!

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    That's when Jeff is livin the F1 life and makin "Vroom Vroom" noises, but only when he's alone in the V-Dub....:D

7. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    That was me last weekend on a drive in Hocking Hills, except I was being chased by an STI.

8. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    one of the things that I'm amused by are the manual drivers, thinking they're so cool

Oh, we KNOW we're cool :beer

9. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    If you're happy with blipping you'll really be happy with the results if you strive harder to come as close to matching the revs as possible instead of blipping to just get in the ball park.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    And good looking too!:devil:

11. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Do you even shift, bro?

I'm not sure I understand the point of any of these arguments. First, the flappy-paddle vs. butter-churn shifting debate is well-worn. It's fundamentally based upon the fact that with modern cars, the visceral experience (smell, vibration, noise, twitchy handling) is gone. The manual shifter debate is a proxy for driver involvement. Unfortunately, even with manual transmissions, cars are so antiseptic that the manual doesn't save them. I special ordered a F30 BMW with manual. They sent me an automatic. I rejected it and told them to find me a manual. There were two in the country. I got one of them. It's boring, lifeless, and without soul. I've done a couple of things to move the needle a little but it's still boring, manual or not.

As for the blip-vs-rev-match debate: with all due respect: shut up!:biggrin5: It doesn't matter whether you blip or match, you're not Senna, and you're not racing for 10ths of a second where your preferred technique will win you millions of dollars and the admiration of the most beautiful Southern European Nubilesse in existence. If you wanna blip, blip. If you wanna rev-match, rev-match. Either way, not even your wife cares. Ask me how I know...

12. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Look, if I want to fondle my stick I'll darn well fondle my stick! ;)

I just like the feel and control, and my left foot gets bored when I drive auto. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  14. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Do I manual? Well, in 40+ years of car ownership, I've never owned an automatic transmission car - and I plan to keep it that way, forever. (hold on a minute.... I need to chase some damn pesky kids off my lawn! ....)

But someday I might own an automatic if the aging process dictates I can't use my left leg anymore, or you know, I lose an arm or two. In the meantime, I tolerate an automatic for my wife's car, but they are just not for me.

It's important to remember that automotive tastes in the US (and Canada) are not the global norm - especially automatic cars. Most of the world drives manual cars and automatic-equipped cars are really the small minority. However, it can be argued that as the US goes regarding leisure and luxury accommodations, the rest of the world slowly, but eventually catches up to us (not being snobby, just realistic). So I have not doubt that manual transmissions will slowly be overtaken by automatics, but I think it will actually be transmission-less electric cars that kill the manual gearbox.

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's not about leisure and luxury today, it's about fuel mileage - and currently I'll bet someone a coke that ALL auto equipped cars in the US are rated higher with an auto trans than a manual - that's why mfr's are deleting manuals - CAFE and gummint regs rule the auto world today, not enthusiasts and certainly not "the market".

New tech will replace old tech, it's the way of the world. I'm not arguing for or against a manual, it's personal choice to me - I can and do drive both. I appreciate both. There are times (not many) when I prefer a stick, but most of the time the auto is exactly right for driving conditions I'm in and the trip I'm taking. For example, if you drive every day in rush hour stop and go, slow and go traffic - a manual gets old in a hurry......letting the trans shift for itself is wonderful. Likewise, on a long highway run you put it top gear and leave it there for hours at a time.....so what possible difference does it make to have a clutch pedal?

Modern automatics are wonderful pieces of tech, they rev match perfectly on manual downshifts, they don't let you over-rev, and they give you a quicker 0-60 and better mileage, what's not to like?

16. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    #36 Zapski, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    1: Stop-go traffic is rare for me.

2: When I get to the end of that highway, I'm going to be running in some twisty hills. :)

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Dave get off Eric's computer!:lol::lol:

18. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #38 BruceK, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Of the 70+ years of automatics, it’s only been in the past decade or so and with relentless technological advances that automatic transmissions finally matched, then surpassed, the fuel efficiency of the manual transmissions that have been around for more than a century. So I do agree with you that automakers prefer automatics to meet their fuel goals (and they love them to meet their profitability goals too!).

If I was forced to drive in stop and go traffic, I might consider an automatic. But before I did that, I try to find every way I could to avoid stop and go traffic! A very cool solution for that problem is on its way from Ford (and it’s amazing nobody came up with this before now). It’s an autopilot feature allows the car to automatically accelerate and brake in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic, taking away the mindless and soul-crushing repetitive nature of that situation.

edit: for some reason, I am not able to post a link to any news story about this Ford feature. Why?

19. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    because... Ford

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    You'll get my manual when you pry my cold dead hands from it!

I'm just one of the 4 million members of the NMA, I'm manuals safest place.

National Manual Association:D