Apple might buy McLaren?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Steve, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Opps....yahoo got their cars mixed up...
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-going-back-future-mclaren-180449622.html;_ylc=X1MDMTE5Nzc4NDE4NQRfZXgDMQRfeXJpZANidWh2ZXVoYnU4Y2N1BGcDZFhWcFpEeHVjejVoTkRBeE56Vm1OaTB5TlRJd0xUTXpOVGd0T0RBNU1DMDBNekEzWldGbVlURmlZV004Wm1sbGJHUStZV0Z3YkE9PQRsYW5nA2VuLVVTBG9yaWdfbGFuZwNlbgRvcmlnX3JlZ2lvbgNVUwRwb3MDNQRyZWdpb24DVVMEc3ltYm9sA0FBUEw-?.tsrc=applewf

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    #23 caseydog, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Apple just did what was going to happen, eventually, with music. People were stealing music because the old model wasn't attending to the customer's wants and needs. A la carte music buying for 99 cents a song probably saved the music business.

Now, I don't get the whole self-driving car thing. It seems like an investment in mass transit would be a more efficient model for getting a whole lot of people around in an ever more crowded world. Everyone going to work, one person to a car, doesn't change anything just because the cars drive themselves.

If I had to commute to downtown everyday, I'd much rather ride light rail with wifi, while sipping my morning coffee than it in bumper-to-bumper traffic in a self driving car, wondering when it will collide with another self-driving car that isn't on the same page as mine.

CD

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I see what you're saying, but I think down the line if cars can communicate with say a GPS network and can see each other it's going to be far better than it is now. If traffic is coordinated by computers and not most of the population, half of which have hard time driving in the first place, it will relieve some congestion. No more *******s going slow in passing lanes and no more, "OH crap I missed my exit so let me cut across 5 lanes of traffic!".
    Right now, the autopilot is in it's baby stages. I hope they come up with a good, working solution. Preferably before I start my new position downtown ATL... :cornut:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ATL traffic is the worst.

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Every once-in-a-while we agree on something. That worries me, just a bit. :biggrin5:

Yeah, I hate driving in Atlanta. Dallas isn't a whole lot better, but from my own personal experience, Atlanta is even worse than Los Angeles.

So, whatever happened to all of those flying cars I read about in Popular Science Magazine back in the sixties? We were supposed to have them about fifteen years ago. :confused5:

CD

6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The truth behind the rumors. Despite McLaren's denial, they actually did talk but no takeover offer was tabled by Apple.

I didn't know Apple looked into buying F1 until now...guess I missed that one.

Apple held talks with McLaren, but never tabled takeover bid (motorsports.nbcsports.com)
    Full article here.