MotoringFile MINI Expands Car Sharing Service to Include Renting Your Own MINI to Others

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by JoeClubman, Nov 15, 2016.

1. JoeClubman

JoeClubman New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    There’s big news for MINI owners today. BMW & MINI’s car sharing service ReachNow is inviting MINI owners to recoup the cost of car...The post MINI Expands Car Sharing Service to Include Renting Your Own MINI to Others appeared first on MotoringFile.

(visit MotoringFile for the full article)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More...

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Just waiving the flag for people who might entertain the idea of renting their cars to some one. Be sure you check your insurance coverage first. Most policies exclude coverage when the car involved in an accident is in the "Automobile business" and renting cars is considered automobile business. It's perfectly o.k. to lend your car to any one else but realize that it is YOUR policy that comes into play if they have an accident with your car. The fact they might have insurance doesn't matter. It's the insurance on the car that is primary.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Millennials can't rent my MINI..... It'sa manual.... :D

Like I would even consider letting that happen.... HAH...

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah like I am going to let some stooge that can't buy a car rent my car. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GTFO

I can count the people I know and trust that have driven my car since I have owned it on one hand.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Insurance is covered, but I don't think they've published all the details of the Share program. ReachNow is a Zipcar-like service where people can do short term car rentals (even by the minute). Currently the fleets of ReachNow cars are owned by BMW. This new Share announcement allows private owners to add their car to the ReachNow fleet. They also announced an Uber/Lyft style ride-hailing service using ReachNow cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/bmws-reachnow-full-fledged-mobility-services-program/

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,026 / 6 / -5
    How many times have you heard someone say "I don't care it's a rental" and you're gonna let a schmuck like that take your ride for a couple day spin ?? They did say 2015/16 cars so maybe F56 owners don't care.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More moving the car to just an appliance.

8. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    If insurance is provided it would do a person well to know what the limits of the policy are. If the damages (injuries/deaths) are valued greater than the coverage provided by their insurance company the victims would then look to the owner of the car (you) for the balance they would be entitled to and you would be standing alone with no insurance because you policy excluded this loss.

9. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Actually, that mindset is not new. For as long as I can remember, the car has been a transportation appliance for many, if not most people.

We enthusiasts are the minority. We've been the minority as far back as I remember becoming an enthusiast.

The number one and number two selling cars in the USA are the Camry and Accord, IIRC. Well made, but boring as ***** automobiles.

Hey, I LOVE the fact that my MINI CS averages 30MPG around Dallas. I'm all about keeping money in my pocket. Having that car look cool, and be a blast to drive is a major bonus.

But, if driving a Camry or Accord works for you, hey, it's your money, spend it your way.

I think renting your own personal car to other people -- including complete strangers -- is not likely to draw a lot of participants, especially if the car is expected to be new. People have no problem doing things to a rental that they would never do to something they own -- house, car... whatever.

CD

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    But this program is only for nearly new BMW and MINI.

I see it as almost like having a time-share vacation home where you'll have access to it but won't be using it much of the time.

11. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure other cars will be involved in this new "wave" of rentals.

I look at this like I look at self-driving cars. Yeah, it may sound all futuristic, but realistically, how much sense does it really make?

Instead of wasting time, effort and money on stuff like these rentals and self-driving cars, why not invest in proven things like light rail and other tried and proven mass transit.

People in NYC have gotten along great without owning a car for a couple of centuries. Why are we still trying to re-invent the wheel?

CD

12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I can do it on three fingers...and that includes both the MINI and Mini, plus my two previous MINIs.

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    There are a select few friends that I do trust driving my car. If they screw up they will make it right. They also let me drive their cars. :D

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    No one else drives my car.

My wife could if she wanted to, but she doesn't switch cars easily and she is used to her Volvo V70 T5. Her previous car was a Dodge minivan that we gave to our daughter, when we got the Volvo.

For a month all I heard was complaints, "The hood is too long!", "It's too low!" and on and on.

Then she realized that it was way more powerful than the minivan and she could pass on two lane roads without giving it a thought.

Now she loves it, but when I try to get her into the MINI, she whines about it being too different from the Volvo.

15. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I can them on one finger!