1st Gen 100K+ Replacing Entire Oil Housing Assembly

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by DaedalusR53, Jan 7, 2017.

1. DaedalusR53

DaedalusR53 New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have links to threads that show this process?

I busted the drain-back plug a while back, replaced it with an equivalent plug from local auto store which got rid of the oil light at idle but then returned two weeks later. The engine seems to still run smooth but I've been driving it for several months now and the oil light comes on at idle once the engine is up to temp, its not immediate. Once I hit the throttle the light goes bye-bye.

So i finally got new gaskets, new pressure sensor, and a cleaned up used housing to replace. Any guidance or DIY articles?

Should i try to take the plunger from the replacement housing and try that first?

Should I just try to replace the sensor?

If I replace the housing, I plan to remove heat shields, probably remove the passenger axle, lower mount, drain oil before, remove filter cap for clearance , remove heat exchanger with hoses still clamped for clearance then try to unbolt and wiggle out the housing.

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do u have an oem filter in there?

3. 03MC

03MC New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My apologies if you know all this already.... or if it doesn't apply to the R53...

Don't have any pic/videos, etc.... that whole hindsight mess... I don't know how easy it would be to pull the plunger, but I would be hesitant to do that. If it comes loose, you may be back where you started, if it doesn't end up coming loose and getting lost, etc. Do you know if the existing and the new are the same version? New vs old, with the plastic cage and spring? If they're not, I'd go with the new... makes life easier down the line... If someone else has better info, please correct me, I only know enough to bloody my knuckles and make other repairs more expensive... :)

I replaced the entire housing on my 03, (not an S...) last fall, and it was a pretty simple job. (Once I got the housing anyway... I tried 3 different parts places, ordering a new pressure sensor, and they ALL came in with the wrong thread size to fit the housing. Gave up and ordered a new housing, that came with all gaskets, filter, cap, sensor.

It was exhibiting the exact same symptoms. Boiled down to, before I got the car, someone did an oil change and threw out the plastic cage that was stuck in the filter. (The drain-back plunger was also missing, so I have no idea how well they sit in there) On the upside, they DID throw the loose spring into the middle of the new filter so it bounced around free????? Filter for an 03, no plastic cage... filter collapsed, low pressure light at idle, so on.

When I replaced it, I didn't have to take off all those extra pieces. Did jack the car up, to make access easier underneath. From the top, unbolted the heat shield that sits directly on top of the housing. It had enough jiggle room that little extra play gave me enough to to unbolt the housing and swap it out relatively easily. I haven't gotten a good look at an S, so those extra pieces may be required to come off in your case. Sorry couldn't offer more.

4. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Here you go: https://youtu.be/RxI5SrD1OCY

All you need to know. The top bolt (of the three) is a real PITA. Just be patient. And use an OEM filter forever or you'll be doing this again.