Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Tuner options

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Guapish_Fliver, Jul 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AWD_Rally

AWD_Rally Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Male
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    12k RPM redline would be fun... minus the exploding engine part. :biggrin5:

Oh, I don't know for the speed density. Still looking into that, tuning options are limited for the N18 still.

I got my tune from a friend who is a Manic tuner, standard MAF tune.

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Jm turbo is the only one I know of who supposedly does it. I tried it and it didn't work. I tried contacting the tuner myself after they lost my ecu for a few days and he wouldn't speak to me. I was informed I was supposed to communicate via middle man (JMTC) and that direct communication is strictly forbidden :frown2:

I've heard several contradicting stories regarding speed density tunes so I don't know who to believe. Never seen one that works on an r56 so if you get it figured out make sure to share.

3. AWD_Rally

AWD_Rally Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Male
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Geez, that's no fun. JMTC seems to have some pretty good parts, but the tuning side seems to be lacking.

I wish the N14/N18 MAFs weren't fixed in a housing, seems limiting when wanting to change things up a bit. The new F series got it right with the MAFs. I'd really like to see how a blow-thru setup would do. If done right, it should perform much better than a speed density tune too.

4. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #44 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    How many miles on your 47mm? What's a blow thru?

You can change things up in there, JMTC has a short ram silicon turbo inlet. I had to hack up and extend the wires for my maf. The filter sits right behind the hole for fresh air inlet.

The Alta filter is a pos. I wish I bought the Perrin after seeing one..

Attached Files:

5. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Silicon

Attached Files:

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Am I the only one who gets a giant photo here? Whenever Guapish posts a picture it is the size of four computer screens and is very difficult to see what he is trying to show.

I am interested in what he is doing with is set up.

Is there something wrong with my computer settings?

7. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lol I think so Dave, it looks fine on my screen and that's the only way I know how to post pics from my camera.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    I use an iPad and everything looks normal to me.

9. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Apart from being upside down, they are normal size.

10. AWD_Rally

AWD_Rally Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Male
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Very nice! How does the car run with the MAF so close to the turbo? I thought the MAF liked a bend before or after it, something about it reads the air better? That may have been for the stock tune only, never tried it with my current tune.

I'm not sure how many miles, I dont drive much though. Maybe 5 to 8k. Blow-thru is when the MAF is positioned on the cold side IC pipe, post intercooler.

I'd prefer a setup similar to yours, straight forward and takes up little room. Mine is set up like this:
    20150717_121740 copy_zpsbvyownm0.jpg

11. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Noice. What kind of boost you making? It would be tough to mount the maf on the cold side somewhere.

So far I haven't had any problems with the maf and have just made sure the filter is not excessively oiled. The turbo has gotten really hot and it didn't melt so I'm pretty sure it's safe there. JMTC told me I must eliminate all the intake piping if I wanted the least lag and "peak efficiency" out of that turbo.

12. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I dig this ^. Is that 3rd hose on the back side of the catch can run down to the intake manifold?

13. AWD_Rally

AWD_Rally Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Male
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Map B I believe is something around 21 PSI and map "C" at 23 PSI. I mostly run map B.

Hmm, I might adjust my intake system a bit. I was under the impression the MAF preferred a bend to help with "stuffing" the air better. If you look at how the stock intake was setup up, there was a bend before, and basically every aftermarket intake keeps that bend in their systems.

I did upsize my tubing to help with flow, it's 3" pre MAF and 2.75" post MAF, and that's only because I'm using the stock plastic pipe there... which I've been wanting to get rid of. :D

This is actually how the OCC looks now, I couldn't find this more recent pic earlier.
    20150717_121740 copy_zpsbvyownm0.jpg

I had to a do a resistor mod for those little plugs on the intake tube. The second hose that "T"s into the hose coming from the head is goes to the bottom of the engine, behind it. The N18s have a newer version to help with blow by.