Suspension Brakes 1st Gen BC Coilovers...installing rear adjustment extensions

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by clifforddward, Feb 23, 2017.

1. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    #1 clifforddward, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
    Been working the past week on installation of coilovers on my 2004 R53....I got my set up from Greene Performance and have been very pleased with the package which came with BC street coilovers, Swift Springs and extensions for the top of the rear shocks. Colin was very helpful with several questions I had during the decision process, and he customized my set up to the type of tires and driving I do with my car...a great buying experience I wholeheartedly recommend.

During installation of the rear coilovers, the issue of how to accommodate adjustment of the rear shocks needed to be addressed. Those familiar with BC coilovers know that there is a 32 click adjusting knob on top of the shocks to allow changing of how the shocks perform...from full soft for highway driving to full hard for smooth track handing and everything in between. On the front shocks adjustment is easy as the top of the shock are exposed in the engine bay. For the rears it is a different matter entirely as the adjustment knob is hidden once the shocks are installed. Fortunately BC accommodates this by offering an extension that attaches to the knob on top of the shock, thus allowing adjustment from inside the cabin....oh but how to get the extensions into the cabin, that is the question!

Here's how I did it...maybe not the fastest or the best solution, but it worked for me and can work for you too if you care to go to a bit of effort....

First I drilled a small 1/8" hole through the body sheet metal directly over top of where the shock top adjustment knob would be...the small hole was to check where it came through so I would not drill into the various wires in the area. Once I got the wires out of the way, I used a 1/4-3/4" "step drill" I had to open the hole to just larger than the adjustment knob on the extension. Then a quick trip to Autozone and purchase of a length of fuel line with an OD to match the hole. In the photos you can see where I cut a 2" length, slit it lengthwise so it would fit over the extension, and then used electrical tape to close up the slit. Here's a photo of the fuel line in place before installation:
    [​IMG]
    Once installed the fuel line provides good protection through the hole in the sheetmetal, and there is plenty of flex in the extension to easily be able to reach this extension behind the small side doors of the luggage area at the back of the Mini. Here's an image of the extension in place showing ease of access...since it is hidden behind the panel access door, the installation becomes an elegant out of sight solution:
    [​IMG]
    Adjustment of the rear shocks is as simple as removing the access doors to the rear panels and reaching in to turn the adjustment knob...literally a 30 second operation for both sides!

Attached Files:

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Looks like a nice solution.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Nice job!

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Same thing I did. Love them coilovers.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Nice job. I found some rubber grommets at the hardware store that I used for mine, installed in the sheetmetal hole.

6. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind works, I sometimes have also drilled holes in line with where the seats sit when not folded and used office desk plugs to plug the holes,
    Its something that keeps the adjuster from needing to be bent, some people have said that the resolution was not well defined enough for them. Hence the solution.
    I like how you did that though. I might replace the Electrical tape with heat shrink

7. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Great idea Colin...I've got some heat shrink of the right size so i think I'll add that this afternoon before final installation.

I also think I'll open up the hole in the sheet metal just a bit to allow for flexing of the shocks.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  9. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Nice photo Scott...since I didn't remove my side panels to do my install I did not have the ability to show where the hole comes through the sheetmetal in relation to the rest of the rear cargo area...your overall photo shows that nicely...my hole is in exactly the same spot and between the two images folks should be able to see that the adjustment extensions are easily accessible behind the side panel access hatches.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Since I wanted to put the extensions on, decided I had to do my long delayed rear seat delete. Thus the reason the panels are off. They were so easy to do too.