My Cat Died

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by UKCoopeR, Mar 27, 2017.

1. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Not the furry kind but the exhaust kind. :wink:

Was hoping the p0420 was just another O2 sensor but the cat sounds like a bag of marbles now lol. The car is running fine going by lap times, so I have time to budget and plan properly.

I am using this as the motivation to no longer worry about street legality for the track car. An aftermarket header will affect my TT classing but I can manage that by making other changes, so I am thinking of going catless. I assume this would need a tune or would a tune later be fine?

Is this still commonly considered the best option? I am not going to be using it on the street anymore but will be towing to events so no need to pass emissions and noise can be managed by the exhaust I stick on after it etc. so just looking for best bang for buck and power 4.5k rpm and higher.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Header holds up well. Been on my car since 2008 and still looks great. No openings other than those originally supplied too.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Catless because RACECAR :Thumbsup:

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Just shake the gravel that used to be the catalyst out out the converter housing and save yourself the cost of a catless downpipe.:Thumbsup:

5. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Nice, that's great to hear especially as you drive your car hard! So many things on the mini (oe and aftermarket) are fine till you really push it. On track even with a setrab oil cooler I see temps 250-275 most of the time and have had to add quite a few ducts and heat reflection material to keep things from melting lol

That's the idea! Not having to worry about inspection and emissions means time to break out the reciprocating saw :cornut:

Lmao that is basically the plan till I figure out what supporting mods are needed with regards to tune/fueling to make the header work right if any. I am hoping I can get away will nothing else in the short term as then I can pop the header on and do the rest in the off season. But if the guidance is that I will need injectors/cam/tune I might have to wait till a longer break in the schedule / end of the season, and make sure that doesn't bump me class up (would only affect TT class though not GTS with NASA so not the worst outcome). The points race is usually pretty tight and I don't want to miss an event due to that being a much bigger job and I don't want to miss a chance to defend my crown :devil: Gratuitous bragging attached :p

Attached Files:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh, you need to heat shield the tunnel at least to the end of the shifter box, otherwise, you're going to get heat up into the center console and down tubes. Will also melt the bottom of the shift box of not shielded. Someplace I have some pictures I'm sure. I'll dig.

7. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Awesome thanks man, I did have to add some around the power lines going to/from the battery because they started to melt last year lol Appreciate the heads up!