Driver's window

Discussion in 'PittStopMINI Club' started by putterfarm, Jun 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My driver's window just quit working. It will not go down not even the little bit when you open the door:mad2:. Any suggestions:confused5:.

Mark

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Does it go down with the toggle? If it does, can you see if the passenger side operates faster than the driver's (both up and down)? I have a similar thing happening with my passenger window.

3. mielnicki

mielnicki Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mark, try this:

In the R53 MINI, to reset the windows, you hold up the window toggle switch for 5-10 seconds to re-initialize them in the computer.

If the window still does not work, you can try taking the door panel off and make sure the plug is still attached to the regulator. Beyond that, it might be a bad regulator.

Steve

4. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    goaljnky, try what mielnicki said. If this doesn't work try holding down on the toggle(if the window is stuck closed) and with the ignition on pound on the door above the speaker. This is the "Fonzie" method. This knocks the dust and dirt between the armature and brushes loose causing contact once more. It worked for me. Eventually I'll have to take the motor apart and clean it. Hope this helps. :mad2:. BTW, my windows have never traveled at the same speed.

Mark

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Ditto here. The driver side window was faster until they replaced the driver side regulator, since then the passenger window has been faster.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone point me to a how-to for door panel removal? I just might poke around in there myself.

7. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    goaljnky, go to "motoring/underground" web site and search the same question. I went there and searched "window will not go down" and the answers go back several years, including pictures and directions. :cornut:.

Good luck, Mark :aureola:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ya know you can link to the thread,....

9. Lop

Lop New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. danglero

danglero Club Coordinator

Jul 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Last time I had window issues, I went to mini, and they re-installed the software. Yes, sure that also worked. Most of my day was sucked up through the process. I don't go down to the dealer much for service anymore. I'll go there for the free brakes, even though their brakes kick up an insane amount of brake dust. Oh, and wiper blades!!!