2nd Gen R56 Cooper S ECU Reprogram

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Bravo Zulu, Jun 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is there a way to make basic mods like CAI, intercooler, charge and discharge pipes then have a technician with proper tuning equipment take the dyno and logs, send them to BMW and get a tune back. He could then upload the specs to his tuner, and then flash my ECU? I'm assuming if this is possible then it's all warrantied. Has anyone done this or know about it?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Excuse me while fall over on the floor laughing...

... send them to BMW and get a tune back.

That has to be one of the funniest things I've heard about a MINI is years.

No offense but MINI has been known to now and then deny warranty coverage for tunes created by others, the also made it pretty darn hard for any of the tuners to access the ECU in the first place. When it comes to things like what you ask you'd have a better shot a walking on the moon yourself. BMW / MINI is so closed minded when it comes to anything beyond their offerings.

It is possible to do remote tuning but it will not be from BMW / MINI and the warranty will be till the taillights cross the threshold of the shop on the way out the door.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I think you will find BMW is not too receptive to any kind of change to the system that was EPA tested as it came down the assembly line.

Your best bet is to work with a custom tuner, with one of their packages that let you switch back to OEM tune. Warranty coverage, well that's iffy.....

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Pretty unlikely that a supercharged car would be in warranty now anyway, unless it's a convertible.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If the car in question is Bebop, the MINI in the OP's Garage it would be a 2011 model.

6. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are any of these "helpful" comments from personal experience or just cottage industry myths? And yes, I thought this was an open forum where "honest" questions could be asked and answered without prejudice. So, yes I am offended.

If you wanted to honestly correct me then send me a PM without a post. If you want to puff out your chest and play Pied Piper, then you've succeeded as I see others following the lead. Nice place to be from. Bye.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    #7 old81, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
    If you want a tune, your options are aftermarket.

Alta offers the AccessPort (soon for 2011 models N18 engine), current for the 2007-2010 (2011 JCW) N14 engine.

RMW (Jan) offers tunes for the R56 and R56 JCW and the other turbo models. Not sure he is offering tunes for the N18 engine (2011 MCS, etc). Jan offers tunes loaded on the Dimsport tool or the Alta Access Port (he is a reseller, authorized tuner for Alta).

Many others offer tunes on the R56 N14 engine, Way, Clint and some others.

Don

Nothing comes via BMW other than the JCW tuning kit and I understand it may not be out for the 2011 N18 engine, yet (but soon).

Don't be offended, some of us have rabid humor and tend to look at the MINI world with squinty eyes. :)

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It is from personal experience. Given how you could not even buy the JCW for the R53 without buying all the MINI parts for it on the R53 models. There were some people that did get them after putting in the injectors and aftermarket pulley, CAI and exhaust, but that was only because someone at a dealer did them a favor.

BMW and by extension MINI are known for playing hardball with tuned cars. They are not about to create a file just for you.

Besides, there are laws against this. Every auto maker is subject to certain rules set forth by various governmental agencies. Included are things such as emissions over a 100,000 period. The current OEM programming has been tested over 100's of thousands of miles by the car makers at great expense. They do not create on off's for people.

I guess I've been at this so long over so many cars that I've seen the way ECU programming has evolved. The car makers work harder and harder for the most part to make closed systems that will not be reprogrammed easily.

9. Michigan Mini

Michigan Mini New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Health Care
    Lathrup Village, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had the same take on that too BZ. It seemed to be a bit rough for the uninitiated. Shake it off. There are many, many good people (including the respondent in question) and tons useful information.

Cheers!
    Chris

10. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks for your feedback. I'll be looking for the ALTA tuner.

11. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your encouragement. I can shake most of it off, but when the "founder" bombs you out it just sort of sets a bad precedent. No one likes to be made fun of for asking an honest question. I thought we were all adults here, not high schoolers. -- BZ

12. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure no harm was intended.

14. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    #14 Mr. Jim, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    I'm sure too that it wasn't meant in a bad way and once you've been around MINI's awhile you may find yourself laughing at the question. I know I did, just didn't post it.

Btw, welcome to M/A!

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    BZ, there is something you need to be aware of and it has to do with that MINI key fob you use to start your engine. You know how you hand it over to the MINI SA when you take your car in for service? Well, it's a snitch and you need to be aware of it's capabilities.

Now then, if you are planning to go the route of having a custom tune, well that's cool. And you are wanting to maintain your warranty, well that's also cool. Thinking about jumping back and fourth with the custom and stock tune for warranty purposes? Well, that's where the snitch comes in. You see, the ECU keeps a data log of how your engine is running. It records a bunch of parameters. It also down loads some of the info onto the key fob (don't ask me what the parameter are because I don't know all of them).
    As an example..... if your engine starts performing differently as a result of a custom tune, well the MINI SA will be able to know something is up because the stock tune might not allow the generation of that difference in that particular parameter. As an example, let's say you want the rev limit raised over the stock rev limit, this would be an indicator to the S/A that you were running a custom tune. Or let's say you want to play around with the boost before the BOV opens. It all get recorded by the ECU that then blabs it to the key fob, who then snitches to the MINI SA. So even before the warranty question comes up the MINI S/A is going to be a few steps ahead of you.

Anyway my $0.02

16. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Got it, good info to know. Thanks, BZ

17. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope it's the making of a long term relationship!?
    BZ

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So much for me trying to be funny...

Please accept my apologies.

19. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Accepted. I can use your experience with MINI and look forward to it.
    BZ

20. HelicopterMD

HelicopterMD New Member

May 2, 2011
    Federal Goverment
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with everyone when it comes to tuning and the tell tell signs at the dealer; However BZ please don’t take the smart comments to heart brush them off and pay attention to the ones who make sense trust me it doesn’t matter what site and what car you have there will always be people with smart remarks. if you get offended by the smart comments then you are in the wrong place. thank god you are not in an IMPORT TUNER site they would have destroyed you, with all that said welcome to the site and again don’t take it to heart is all fun here.... Good Luck. BTW i got my tune from Jan @ RMW and im loving it..... :)