2nd Gen R56 Cooper S ECU Reprogram

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Bravo Zulu, Jun 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    BZ, you should also be aware that the dealers are looking for anything they can, to say the problem was yours, so they will not have to cover things under warranty. I did a couple of mods, that could not cause any problem, but they noted them clearly in the paperwork, so there is a record in case they might need to use them for something. If I had something go out, like the fuel pump for example, I'm sure they will say it was be due to my after market springs. :D

Jim

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Jim..... You should never have changed the springs in the fuel pump. The OEM fuel pump springs are more that adequate. What were you thinking?? :D

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jim

4. HelicopterMD

HelicopterMD New Member

May 2, 2011
    Federal Goverment
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats why it pays to know people!!!!!! :arf:

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    BZ,

I have not heard positive things about the Alta tune. There are several cases of blown engines.

Granted this is a suspect statement. I have no idea of what condition the cars were in 'pre-tune' which could very well be the root cause

Thing I think people loose sight of is that this engine was not designed to be a 300hp flame thrower and trying to make it one is going to cause problems unless you start into some serious serious mods (new heads, cam shafts, etc, etc)

My suggestion?

Please don't take this as snarky, it's not meant to be, learn to drive the car and learn it's capabilities first, do some HPDE's or AutoX's. Find out what you like and what you want to improve.

Once you do that you can figure out where you want to go

Not to pick on you but everyone talks about adding power in your shoes. This cars strength is in it's handling. First stop, suspension (sway bars, X braces, coilovers, etc). Second stop Intercooloer (think you said you have a S) and then a good tune. After that you can play with exhaust. Don't waste your money on a CAI, ROI is pitiful

I have a DimSport tune and very happy with it. Beyond that working with a individual experienced with tuning and doing it with a Dyno. That can get pricey

Best of luck, welcome to the insanity

6. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Great advice Tim :Thumbsup:

7. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to push alot of HP or add noise, I just want responsive performance. I've heard mixed reviews on the AP from ALTA and intend to stay away from them. If I do a tune, it will be custom with dyno -- pricey yes but cheaper than the AP (I think) with it's problems.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    OK..... So you want more power and a ECU re-tune and still keep it in warranty?

The only sure way to get this and not run afoul with MINI........

Have you considered the JCW up-grade? Dealer installed, includes a ECU re-tune to JCW specifications, and much more, and best of all it maintains your warranty rights. This will get you there without the headaches from MINI.

My $0.02

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This is not a bad route with a caveat

The JCW tune comes with a high flow airbox (it is very good), performance CAT back exhaust (don't think it has downpipe) and a VIN specific tune. IT might have some other pieces, check with your dealer

You can't buy anything separate, it's a kit

For me it was not a option because I did not follow any of the advise I gave you and already had the aforementioned waste of money CAI (I later went to this JCW air box and it works just as good as a aftermarket CAI without the godawful slurppy sound!)

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I agree

11. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I thought about the kit but was not enamored with the price vs. what was included. Which is why I went to the NM CAI, and Helix intercooler with NM charge and discharge tubes. These have added some H (butt dyno), and took out the noise makers. The car is more responsive and less noisy (except for the minor whoosh and pst). PLUS, the kit was not available (and may not still) when I installed these items. So, if I need to wait for 3 years until my warranty is up to add a tune, then I guess I'll do that. I was just hoping that there were alternatives to ALTA's AP, or Mynes tuner. STILL LEARNING!!

I appreciate all the good input!! It helps me know which way I want to go, and more importantly when to go.
    BZ

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Me Too! Thats half the fun

Good move on the Helix IC and tubes, have a Forge myself but I have no beef with the Helix. There pretty much equal in my book

It is a very noticeable kick in the pants

As a related to your request for more response/boost. Talk to Way of Way Motor Works about one of his blow off valves (he is not only supplier, just one I trust). You might want to consider it. It does not necessarily add HP but it does mete out what you have a little smoother and smarter

13. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oops, I forgot to mention that my first two mods were the NM torque arm inserts, nice for eliminating the rubber band effect. I also installed WMW's performance BOV, also a nice touch (not very expensive and looks OEM).

The techs at both Helix and NM independently both said I should see around 20 HP with the FMIC, tubes, and CAI. All I know is BeBop feels faster, and as I said earlier not as noisy (got rid of the noise maker on the charge tube). The repair shop's dyno was down for repair otherwise I intended to get it checked to see what really is, but...., I'll wait ---- for now.[/QUOTE]

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    yeah, i'd say 18HP on the FMIC and Tubes and 2 on the CAI:wink:

15. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's nice to get some genuine experience to confirm the marketers. So, my 2011 MCS is pushing 200 HP, not too bad. All told, these mods bought and installed were less than $2K; so far less than the amount a JCW kit would cost, and I can still tune later (right?).
    BZ

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely

The hands on Dyno is best but costly, might see what Way/Jan come up with a DimSport version for your engine

Has the 2011 ECU map even been done?

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    The 2001 MCS N18 engine tune is still not available as far as I know at this minute.

BZ, best way to find out what your mods have given you is a nice dyno baseline run, then you will have a file to compare to your future mods or tune.

From you list, you have taken you MINI about as far as you can without a tune.

Going back to a few posts back, warranty with a tune is a point of contention with a lot of MINI dealers.

But (big BUT), some dealers are more tolerant than others, so pay attention to what your Service Adviser says or does not say when you mention mods to your 2011. :wink:

The dealer who does service work on my 07 has installed a lot of my mods at my request, since I know the lead MINI mechanics.

Such as, they installed my Helix and various other parts, worked with me on getting my cat-back sorted out with the JCW exhaust components, etc. etc.

Recently I had them put my ECU back to factory with all fixes to date for the 07 MCS. (Note I said back to factory).

My 07 dyno'd 207 WHP (at the wheels) with 197 TQ in stock form.

With a tune it dyno'd 196 WHP with 267 TQ. This was a custom dyno base tune by RMW (Jan).

From this tune Jan provided a couple of updates via the Dimsport Flash tool to smooth a couple items I did not like.

So now Scooter (R56) is fresh and flashed. I plan on doing another custom tune in Oct/November time frame.

My factory warranty is expired as of 6/12, in a few days but I ran my RMW tune for 2+ years with no issues or concern from my dealer.

Caveat, I did not blow up my engine either, if I had my dealer might have taken the NO warranty coverage direction. Good I never had to test it. :incazzato:

Don

18. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I guess I've put in about all I can (engine-wise) without a tune. Since no one has yet cracked the encryption on the N18, all I can do is wait until a tune does become available. In the meantime I can get the baseline dyno done, and continue to follow MA for additional information.

This thread did not start so well but it has become very informational for me. Thanks to everyone! I just need thicker skin to become receptive.
    BZ

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Forums are great on allot of levels. This one post, for example, has people all across the country contributing

Downside is you can't see their facial expression, tone of voice, body language, etc

Thicker skin helps to at least hold off forming a judgment until you look at a all possible interpretations

I've certainly had my challenges with this as well

Notice your from CO, maybe see you at MITM

20. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    #40 KittyMini, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    I have one piece of advice: DO NOT GO ON NAM. If you think it's bad here (which I have never had a beef with anyone), then NAM will be a nightmare! I stopped going on there after I had it with their BS and constant down talk to anyone and everyone.
    This is a great site, and is very informative. I've learned a lot here, and have asked "un-educated" questions without feeling afraid of the responses.
    I'm glad this thread turned in a positive direction for you. :Thumbsup: