2nd Gen R56 Cooper S ECU Reprogram

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Bravo Zulu, Jun 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    BZ, I'm curious: what made you think that BMW/Mini would provide a custom tune? Or, that it would be as cheap as the aftermarket (you mentioned that the JCW package was too expensive)?

Have you had any experience with other OEMs doing this without any problems or warranty issues?

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The 2011 tune is not avail yet, we hope to get it soon, but it's not looking good.

The JCW tune is available from the dealer, but you have to buy the complete JCW kit to get the tune. We are selling the JCW kits for $200 off right now if you need one.

3. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, to put this to rest. I got the idea from my "dealer" a European car mechanic who installed my FMIC, charge and discharge tubes. He said that with the Mustang Dyno, and Autologic he could map my ECU and send off to BMW for the adjustments (i.e., custom tune). That is WHY I came to this forum and asked if this INDEED was a possibility. A SECOND opinion so to speak. So if you read through this thread, you see the history and the lack of a firm response.

And so, I called back to the "dealer" today (by the way they are listed with MA) and asked specifically if they did what they proposed, would the warranty be effected. I'm waiting for a call back.
    BZ

4. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Bravo Zulu, a quick aside here...I'm going to buy a FMIC and Forge or Helix are what I am looking at. Did you consider the Forge? Any fit issues with the lower grill brake ducts? I have the NM charge pipe, had to get that noise maker out of there. I want to finish things up with the FMIC and the NM discharge tube....Thanks in advance.

Kent

5. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I went with the Helix, but the Forge is just as good. Neither one has fit issues like Alta's. I agree that getting the noise maker out is a huge benefit. I don't mind real noise but it seems disingenuous to artificially make noises; this includes the pop and burble that MINI added in the sport mode. I don't think you can go wrong with either step FMIC.

6. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, now to get one ordered and installed. You know, I read about those noise makers all day long and never really understood until I removed it.

Kent

7. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I assume you are working with Mynes on the tune, correct? Why don't you think it looks too good on getting one out soon? Is it a "no go" or just a matter of time?
    BZ

8. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Which FMIC did you decide to go with? Like I said I went with Helix, but that's because I got a slightly better deal -- no other reason.
    BZ

9. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Can I hijack this thread for a second and ask what exactly the noise-maker was? The charge pipe? Stock?
    Sorry, just curious :D

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Number 13 is the noisemaker. It sends engine noise into the cabin. Makes you think you're sportier than you are......:D

[​IMG]

11. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    huh, thanks! I'd never heard of this before.

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

15. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Went with the Forge and another NM pipe. This was recommended to me some time back. Sometimes I get really anal retentive and have to go through my "process". I could have been on the road with this mod a long time ago.

Kent

16. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu New Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hear that. I do a lot of research before I do almost anything. That's why I started this thread, was to get additional info; based on the feedback I went back to my mechanic and asked if their Autologic program was up to date on the 2011s, and if warranty would be intact. They are researching it. Seems that the mechanic may have overshot his headlights, but we'll see for sure when they call back. Again, based on info here and on Google, I am not holding my breath that a tune is yet available.
    BZ