Removing headlights for SMF, legal?

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by jerryb2005mcs, Jan 26, 2015.

1. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Sr. Technical Consultant for company in the energy
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Hi all. The new autocross season is nearly here and I'm looking through the new SCCA rules.
    Last year I ran in SMF and it looks like nothing major has changed between last and this years rules as it relates to SM.

Some things have changed on my Mini and I'm 100% sure they still fall in the rules. One thing that isn't totally clear is the removal of the headlight and assembly.

There is a section in the rules about changing out pop up headlights for fixed lights but nothing in SM(F) about being allowed or NOT allowed to remove them all together.

In the Prepared rules they spell out in clear language whether you can remove headlights or not. It's not so clear for SM.

Can anyone here clear that up for me? I'm suspecting that if it doesn't say you CAN do it, then you can't.

2. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    How I remember the SCCA rulebook is that if it does not say that you can, you can't. Sounds like removing the headlights would push you up to Prepared.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    How much weight would be saved?

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,659 / 2 / -0
    As I recall from my Secret Car Club of America days if it doesn't specifically say you can then you can't.
    Many people push the rules & stretch them as needed. This can work, but there is usually someone there to protest you. Then again at times there is an accepted illegality that everyone does.
    Then one day a guy shows up & protests the entire field to grab a win they never would have any other way.

5. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Sr. Technical Consultant for company in the energy
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I kind of remember that too about "if it doesn't say you can...."
    I was hoping to save the 25 lbs that the light assembly weighs. Yes, that heavy.

So I'll have to find weight savings else where.

Hood is done. Now working on my rear hatch! Combined weight savings should be ~70 lbs.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    That kind of SCCA nonsense is why I only race on the street! :D