Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Rear passenger brake caught fire

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tummi_Gummi, May 19, 2013.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys i drove the mini twice today. First time I noticed some burning smell. Mentioned it to my girlfriend, she confirmed so i knew i wasn't being a carpochondriac. Drove it again the second time and sceent was baked. I was walking around teh car smelling for it and i felt a crap ton of heat from the passenger wheel in the rear. I mean it was like standing beside a oven at 500 degrees with the door wide open. I then looked at the brakes closer and it was even hotter and saw my pad/s were burnt really bad. So I checked the other side to elminate my e brake cable being stuck or something and it was fine. The car seems to function normally. On the slightest slope of a surface without brakes on / gear in the car rolls like normal so its not like the brake is fully locked. I almost wonder how likely it is that my traction control system is flipping on me. I had to still drive home a couple miles and i stopped half way and my brake rotor was glowing red. So I let it cool then drove home and this time i do remember having the traction control off and got home and it wasn't red/excessive heat, However the pads are basically black ash now...

I replaced both the rear calipers this year already and also new pads and rotors in november 2012.
    [​IMG]

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    EBC green stuffs .....hummmmmm?

3. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    yes, they dont just spontaneously combust into flames either! lol Okay my brake hoses have 245,000 miles I am gonna take a pretty obvious guess this is whats causing my brake caliper to stick? My hose is collapsing huh?

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #4 Jason Montague, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    :cornut: Good Luck! I think that I'll hang around to see what the cause turns out to be. Caliper remains clamped down not releasing pressue. Needs caliper rebuild?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jason

5. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    If thats the case tehn oriellys will replace it for free!

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Again Good Luck and whatever it turns out to be please tell us. It would be nice if some one else picked up the tab due to defective build/maretials but also sad that some one along the line screwed up.:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    With that mileage I'd suspect a brake hose is collapsing. Maybe time for some stainless lines & a brake flush. If the caliper is tight, crack the bleeder & see if it turns freely.

8. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Okay this is funny, I opened the bleeder screw and it really hardly helped the wheel to turn at all. These calipers are remanufactured so I called oriellys and I had them order in both rear calipers to swap mine out.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Well that shows it is not a line collapsing. I've had bad luck with rebent calipers. Tried them twice, failed twice. If you find the same thing I'd suggest calling the good folks at eminiparts.com.

10. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Sticking ebrake cable is likely, had that on daughter's R53. Rebuilt caliper worked, no issues after 5000miles or so for us...

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Just a thought....
    Might be worth tossing a new hub at the rear that failed too...especially at that mileage.... Bet the bearings got cooked....