Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires ContiExtremeContact DWS

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by patchelect, Nov 4, 2013.

1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Anyone here have any experience with these tires? I need to replace my run flats and I'm considering these as an option. They seem to have very good reviews from what I can see. I'm not planning on making any long distance trips in snow, but I want a tires that I can have some confidence in in ALL weather conditions. I am a hot foot and enjoy cornering and long sweepers. I'm also giving serious consideration to dumping the run flats although I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a spare. That's a thread that I've already seen plenty of opinions on!

2. Gramps

Gramps Active Member

Oct 25, 2012
    US Army Civilian at Fort Sam Houston
    Boerne, Texas
    Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    I have these on my wife's A4 Avant. 245/45-17. Good tires. Perform well in both wet and dry conditions. Don't know about snow, we don't have any of that down here. Only complaint is that after about 15K miles they started getting noisy.

3. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    We had these on the wife's 09 MCS......couldn't tell you about snow or extended freezing temps, but were good in water, and ok in dry. Your not going to do well in an AutoX on these tires......apparently the DW are quite a bit better in dry conditions. Spare.... that's what AAA is for.....lol....

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I run them on both my Clubman and my wife's Audi and we love them, as for keeping them quiet I found frequent rotation to be the answer. We do have snow in my 'hood tho we didn't get a huge amount last winter, but they did great on my Clubby. the Audi is a Quattro so no issues there with snow, but the wife thought they were terrific. Of course she was comparing them to the previous year's bald Kumhos!

However, they are not a good track tire, ask me how I know!

No don't.......:blush2:

When I run Heartland Road Course next summer I plan to have a set of dedicated track wheels/tires so I won't use the Contis up

5. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I think If you research enough some people have sidewall issues and tread wear issues. I had the conti DW and tread life was horrible. I'm now on Yokohama yk580 all season and they are great but unsure about winter so I bought blizzaks.

6. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have no track plans so I'm safe there. Snow is only a "possibility" not a pressing need. My commute right now is exactly 6/10 of a mile so weather is not much of a concern! As for tread life I don't see that being an issue either since I won't be doing more than probably 5-6K annually.

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have them on my 05 MCS in 215/40 18. They do great in dry and wet. They aren't summer tires. But people said they have trouble keeping up with me on them. I was very surprised by how good they are in the wet. They are good in the snow as long as it's not deep.

Based on how they are wearing now I think I'll get 25-30K mi from them. The only other tire I would look at replacing it with would be the Nitto Motivo I just put on the wifes Focus ST

8. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    If weather is not so much a concern, I would go with a more aggressive dry first tire. Like I said, apparently the Conti DW is a much better dry performing tire. But have heard these are still hard to get?, so we went with the Falken equivalent, Azenis FK453, very nice tire.

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I put a set on the Clubby a month before this year's Dragon and thought they were good. I was really impressed with them on our Saturday afternoon Cherahola run in the rain! Never got a chance to see how they were in the snow.

10. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Been running them as my winter tires for about three three years now. No complaints. For the summer.... the DWs are the way to go.

11. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I run the Conti DWS on my Honda Civic. I'm about 3/4 through my second set of them. (My Civic is an LX, but I added Si sway bars, springs, and shocks when it was less than a month old. It is kinda like an Si with an LX engine and drum brakes on the rear.)

These tires were a huge step up from the OEM Bridgestones. Quieter, better handling, and longer life. I got about 40K miles from the Bridgestones and they were slick. The Conti DWS's got a tick over 50K and weren't to the wear bars. I'll be getting another set on my Honda around the first of the year.

I'm thinking about ditching the run flats on the MINI and getting a set of DW's for it.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ditching the run flats wakes up the car a bit. You'll have fun.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just remember that any "All-season" tire is going to be a compromise at both ends of the calendar. If you want the best, get a set of dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels.

14. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting ready to ditch my run flats. Spare? I'm saving so much by NOT buying run flats, I will buy a fifth tire and a rim. I'll keep it in my garage since I drive less than 20 miles a day.

15. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I run DW 9 months of the year and DWS the other 3. I love both.
    I get twice the tread wear out of me DW's as I did out of the other extreme performance summer tires I had been running. The DWS's do very well for all seasons in all conditions, IMHO, but aren't as sticky as summer tires... But are still better than the tires on probably 90% of the cars out there...
    Both are sensitive to pressure variations, toe and camber. You need to get all variables dialed in on your car for best performance and tire life.

I carry a Cooper donut spare and a AAA card, and Slime, and a compressor... Options are good.

16. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I recall seeing somewhere that a vendor was selling a compact spare in a bag. Since my car has no spare nor anywhere to put one, I thought that the bagged spare was a good idea for either the trunk (Vertically) or the back seat floor area whenever I take long trips. Does anyone recall who had the minispare (no pun!!) in a bag available?

17. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    here you go. :)

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter