Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Need tire advice for a non-MINI

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Rawhyde, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks. My beater 2007 Honda Civic LX needs tires.

I added Si sway bars, springs, and shocks when the car was less than a month old. I live in the mountains of NW GA, so I made some inexpensive and simple upgrades to make the car more pleasant to drive.

The car came on Bridgestone Turdenza tires. They weren't very good. When they were worn out, I got a set of new takeoff wheels and tires from en EX model. Goodbye steelies with plastic hubcaps....

When those tires wore out, I bought a set of Continental DWS. They were the best tires I've ever had on a daily driver grocery getter type car.

Part of me wants to just get a third set of DWS, but a buddy of mine is after me to get a set of Michelin Pilot AS3's

Anybody have any insights on the DWS vs AS3 for my application?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would stay with the Conni's over the Michelins only because you like them and know feel.
    I liked my Conni DW's but I wanted more grip so I went with dedicated Summer and Winter set up.

My winter tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and they are ok for winter. They are quite driving but screech like hell when it's really cold and ok in rain and light snow. I don't really use my MINI in deeps snow unless I have too. That's why we have a 4 wheel drive SUV.
    For the cost of the Michelins they will last but are really overrated. I will be buying Conni DWS next fall to replace the Michelins.

Hope this helps you out and good luck on your new tire quest.

P.S. My Summer / Dragon tires are Dunlop StarSpecs on light rims.