MINI Voice Command and Phone Buttons - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 2nd Generation MINI > Tuning & Modification :: 2nd Generation MINI > In Car Entertainment & Nav

» Random Garage

JCWorx

JCWorx
» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Stage 0 - Stock

Question MINI Voice Command and Phone Buttons

Just bought a 2007 MINI and loving it. On the wheel there are buttons for voice commands and telephone. On the radio there is also a telephone button. Problem is the radio does not display the radio option. Why the buttons if the option is not there??
gaparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Stage 1

There is a bluetooth module available from MINI USA. If you decided to get the module, as an add on, you do not have to buy a new steering wheel.

BTW - welcome to MA!

"Vive le clutch"
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Register now to remove the above ad

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Stage 3

Go aftermarket

You can still use the buttons on the steering wheel without having the factory module which is way way to expensive.

I added a parrot bluetooth interface to my 05 cooper and a custom wire harness that is plug-n-play to the radio headunit.

First figure out what features you want. I use an iphone and I wanted to be able to answer and hang up plus use voice dial commands. I did not care to have the caller id function on the bluetooth unit or the radio headunit. I decided on this unit from amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Evolution-Bluetooth-Car-Kit/dp/B000A0BQJO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1315781545&sr=8-4
Then I contacted Mikey at Newministuff.com

Mikey creates custom wire connections that hook from the radio unit to the bluetooth unit. Took about 20 minutes or so to install. Real easy. You pay more for the harness than the parrot unit given the exchange rate. If you have any questions on which specific cable to order from them, send an email. They will get back to you in a few days or so.
05r50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05r50 View Post
You can still use the buttons on the steering wheel without having the factory module which is way way to expensive.

I added a parrot bluetooth interface to my 05 cooper and a custom wire harness that is plug-n-play to the radio headunit.

First figure out what features you want. I use an iphone and I wanted to be able to answer and hang up plus use voice dial commands. I did not care to have the caller id function on the bluetooth unit or the radio headunit. I decided on this unit from amazon.com Amazon.com: Parrot Evolution Bluetooth Car Kit: Cell Phones & Accessories

Then I contacted Mikey at Newministuff.com

Mikey creates custom wire connections that hook from the radio unit to the bluetooth unit. Took about 20 minutes or so to install. Real easy. You pay more for the harness than the parrot unit given the exchange rate. If you have any questions on which specific cable to order from them, send an email. They will get back to you in a few days or so.
I have the exact same set up, but I ordered both EVO and harness from Mikey. On the 2nd Gen cars, you have to take the entire dash apart to install it, so longer then 20 minutes is required. Easy to follow instructions are included, so it was not a problem.

Jim
Justa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote