Question re: hi-los + springs in place of rubber cones

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by ImagoX, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone done this swap? Have some questions about it, specifically the fact that when the car is jacked off the ground and the suspension is all the way open, the springs are just sitting in the void where the cones would have been, and are lose enough to turn in place. When the car's on the ground they tighten up, since weight is sitting on them. Seems... disturbing... that the springs are not affixed to anything, but I'm not seeing any parts from the original elements that transplant. Thanks.

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Don't sweat it. I've not seen em all, but what I have are just as you've described. Once the suspension is loaded again after all four wheels are back on the ground everything settles into place as it should... The adjustment cannot change so long as you don't adjust the trumpet settings.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I have them on my car and really like them, but mine have a little bit of tension on them even when down...but I have my car raised up a bit for good ground clearance and a little smoother ride. I don't look like an off-roader but it's not slammed either.

4. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Mine are dialed up pretty high ATM, since I just now got an engine back into the bay and haven't had time to adjust them actually under full load. Towing the car seemed like no problem, though. Thanks...