Oil leak on... exhaust??

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by ImagoX, Apr 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Any of you vets have any idea where I could be leaking oil that would get all over the EXHAUST pipe? Newly-rebuilt engine from Seven... thought it was possibly from the rod change seal based on the drip pettern on the garage floor, but when I looked closer I noticed that while there *ARE* drips coming from that area there's also quite a bit of oil on the LCB and the exhaust pipe, all the way back to the cannister just about. I'm thinking that I may be leaking from the back-side of the engine somehow and it's hitting the LCB, then as I drive wind may be streaking the oil all along the pipe. Given the pipe being involved I'm thinking it's not the rod change seal, since that's not directly above any part of the exhaust, but... (((shrug)))).

Thanks as always in advance! --M

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Valve cover gasket .......

3. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    could be coming from a couple different places... could be the rocker cover gasket... could be the Tappet covers on the backside of the engine...or could be coming from the shift selector O-ring or the transmission...or...well it could be coming from any number of places because the wind will get in there and whip that oil backwards...i would turn the car over and let it run...check the oil pressure gauge to see if you are getting changes in pressure

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    When you turn the car over won't create a bigger mess ?? :D

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking the exact same thing... :)

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If it stops smoking, by all means add more oil. :)

7. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Wow. I had the same problem on my Mini. I say "had" because it has magically disappeared. But I don't trust it is really fixed - just hiding is my guess.

After getting back from the Mini Fun run to Arkansas last month, I found a nice collection of oil drippings on the garage floor. That really surprised me as it hadn't been leaking before that. But that was 1,300 miles of driving, including about 10 hours on the way home. I drove the car up on some ramps and tried to find the source. There was a mist of oil everywhere near the rear of the engine and on the exhaust and rod-change pieces too. It seemed to be coming from the differential where the left side drive shaft comes out. But, as I said, there was oil splattered everywhere in that area and it was difficult to tell with any certainty. I got some Dawn dish soap and sprayed a mixture of it all over the back of the engine and differential to try to clean up the mess.

My first thought was to look at the shift rod seal, but that seemed to be dry(-ish). It could be the axle seal, but it could also be anything else in that General area based upon the oil coating, including the mechanical fuel pump seal. I am also wondering about excessive crank pressure due to the extended high speed running. I've got a breather on the timing chain cover and a breather on the flywheel cover and they are both plumbed to the carb in what appears to be correct the OEM way. So that looks to be fully sorted.

Now the weird part is that since I cleaned the engine not a single drop of oil has fallen on the garage floor. So wherever the black gold was coming from before, it is not visible now.

I drove a good 25 minutes on the highway each way to/from the local Cars & Coffee a couple of weeks ago. The oil got nice and warm, but there no leaks that I can see. Certainly nothing dripping to the ground. Strange...

Hey, I'm not knocking it, I just don't really trust that it went away all on its own.

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #8 Firebro17, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    I'm guessing it's the rocker cover gasket... Look and see if it has a burnt space in the center on the firewall side. We've experienced this with the race car, created from a minor exhaust leak coming from center pipe on the header.

Another thought... We also Yamabond the gasket to the cover and put a nice coating of grease on the head side to make for easy removal. No real leaks with that method, maybe just a slow seepage.... No issues though.

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    If you turn the car over it'll mess up the paint on the roof and the oil will drip on the inside of the hood.

10. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    If it is a rocker cover gasket oil leak, there is also an alternative to the traditional cork gasket. Here is a link to one of the many suppliers of the silicone gasket. Gasket Valve Rocker Cover Silicone, Mini, Sprite,

11. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I always had good luck with the OEM cork gaskets - I'd glue it on the valve cover, then put a good coat of grease on the other side, so I could remove it easily to adjust the valves - never had one leak like that.

12. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I ordered a new valve cover gasket and plan to attach it exactly like that, Minidave, yes. I did NOT order a rocker cover gasket, as I'm not sure where that port/plate is located... hmmm.

I was under the car at the COMO event last weekend and it looks like it actually may be coming from the fuel pump. Rigt now the mechanical fuel pump is bolted to the block but is not being used - the diaphragm failed and started leaking fuel, and rather than replace it (again) I just hoked up an electrical fuel pump.

I have a fuel pump blanking plate and fresh gaskets on order from Seven, but can someone tell me where the rocker cover(s) are located so I can eyeball them when I take the carbs off over the weekend?

Thanks as always!!

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I think you mean tappet cover, it is on the side of the block, on the intake/exhaust side of the engine. The intake and exhaust manifold have to come off to access it.

The rockers are under the same cover as the valves right on top of the engine, so a valve cover and a rocker cover would be the same thing.

14. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    But... Many Mini engines don't have tappet covers. In fact, it you have a non-Cooper S A-series big block "1300" engine, you have a solid wall block and there are no tappet covers. They are only on the smaller engines (850, 997, 998, 1071, 1100) and the true 1275 S.

One less place to leak from.

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, I was surprised to see my engine did not have tappet covers - my 62 1100 had them.....

It probably is leaking from the fuel pump gasket, that's not unusual.....your blanking plate will fix it.

16. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    OK awesome... no tappet covers then for me. Thanks for clearing that up. Blanking plate and new gaskets arrived today and will be installed (hopefully) tomorrow in advance of Saturday's activities...

17. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Rocker cover - Valve cover..... Semantics. The cover on top of the engine that covers the rockers.

I believe you meant to say A+ blocks Bruce.

18. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    No he's rght, Pre-A blocks are like that too - mine is.

19. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Learned something new today.

20. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015