A brand new, but old Mini Van

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by BruceK, Apr 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Somehow, a 1968 Austin Mini Van has survived in show-room condition with less than 500 miles on it, and it's now up for auction. Still has the protective plastic on the seats. It won't go for cheap, and that's pretty certain with auction estimates around £25,000.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1968-austin-mk-2-mini-van

How About Driving A Brand New 1968 Mini Van?

[​IMG]

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Wow......I suppose the new owner will also simply put it away to preserve the as-new condition?

Too bad.....

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    WOW I would love to have it, But I would have to drive it!

4. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I think that's the problem with these types of "time capsule" cars. On one hand, the car was made to be used- it's just a machine. But on the other hand, it's almost too damn nice to use.

With a vehicle this well-preserved, I'm of the opinion it would be a shame to wear it out and treat it like any other old vehicle. I'd say it should be driven, but used sparingly at special events where its uniqueness and level of preservation mean it can be shared and enjoyed with lots of people. Other than that, it should be preserved as best as possible.

5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The 'correct' use of a Mini Van in the 1960s was not for driving but to be used when parked if you know what I mean, snigger, snigger... If there was one thing daughters' mothers hated, it was boys with Mini Vans.

Leaving footprints on the underside of the roof was optional, but extra style points would be awarded.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have two daughters. I have guns and a shovel. I have told both my girls boy friends that a body is hard to find.
    Pick my daughter up in a van/SUV i don't think so.

7. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Have you guys seen the actual size of a cargo area of a classic Mini Van?

I know there's an old expression of "where there is a will, there is a way", but I'd almost say that there is a good birth control deterrent factor inherent in attempting any umm... activities in the back of a Mini Van.

8. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    It was said of the Lotus Europa, one of the very first mid-engined sports cars that the presence of the engine bulkhead behind the seats stopped them reclining, so how could you.....?

[​IMG]

Best answer I heard was: "why do you think they made the bonnet/hood over the front luggage compartment so smooth and just the right height?"

OK, I admit, this isn't Mini-related.