Wheel Vibration At High(er) Speeds?

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by ImagoX, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Now that Fiona can, you know, actually go highway speeds (what a positively NOVEL sensation...) I've noticed that starting at about 55-60MPH I start to get a shimmy/pulse/throbbing vibration in the steering wheel.

As part of the rebuild we completely tore down the front end, replaced all the bearings and seals, painted all the components, and replaced all the old, manky hardware with new. We did NOT do any alignment work because, well, I have no idea how. I also did not mess with the wheels (12" star mags) because they should have been properly balanced when shipped with tires from Seven (there are crimp weights on them, anyway).

Question I have for you guys is where to start? Have a tire shop check the wheel balance? Have an alignment shop (or a garage versed in old Brit steel) check the front end alignment and assembly? Both? If I can do it myself I will, but I'm not sure I have the tools (or the skills) to do precision front-end work.

Thanks as always!! :Thumbsup: --Matt

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Yes. This is most likely your problem. If you feel the shimmy in the steering wheel, it's your front wheels. If you feel it in the chassis, it's your rear wheels.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Out of alignment generally will not cause a shimmy......any good tire shop should be able to get those tires smoothed out, but I've had a lot of trouble getting my 10's balanced and smooth. The larger sizes (12's, 13's) should be a little easier.

The only other front end related thing I'd tell you to check is your front wheel bearings, make sure they're tight - and all the other related hardware. If all the nuts and bolts are all on tight, it's the tire balance.

4. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    When you said you replaced all the hardware, did that include all 4 balljoints (correctly shimmed?) and new steering track rod ends too? What about the bushings in the tie bar ends? Are the bushings in the lower arm in good shape? Any small wheel imbalance could be magnified by slack or play in the front suspension.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sounds rotational, get a good balance job to start. There are good & bad guys who balance tires. The bad guys make you come back a second time to get it right.

6. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yep, ALL of that... ball joint receiving cups, shims, seals tapered thrust washers, etc. Ball bearings were removed, inspected, and re-installed as they looked fine. Bushings were pulled out and replaced with new (thanks, Paul, for use of the special tools). I did not replace any large, structural cast-metal components. I did replace everything that looked like a wear item, then used fresh grease throughout.

Crashton - anyone in town that you recommend? I've been pretty happy with NTW on Silver Drive in Clntinville, and of course NorthEnd can do that...

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I use Discount Tire, but nothing wrong with NTB.

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Swap the front and rear wheels and see if the vibration changes ends.

9. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    When I got my '88 Mini aligned two months ago I didn't want to go to a place that normally handles Camrys and Malibus. So, based up a recommendation from MiniDave, I sought out a place in my area that is used to aligning race cars and highly tuned street cars. Someplace where they are used to taking the time to get everything right - and not some place used to cranking out alignment after alignment for the next minivan with a $10 off coupon.

The place I went to was delighted to see my Mini. They fawned all over it. They spent nearly 2 hours doing a full front and rear alignment on my Mini (I have a fully adjustable suspension) and they had me sit in the Mini while they did it to dial everything in right. There was a huge difference in how the car felt, and how it handled after the alignment.

10. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I need to find a place like THIS in Columbus, Ohio... wow! :cornut:

11. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Might be worth the drive to cinci. I've used this place and they are awesome.

12. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Ummm... WHAT place? :p

13. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Performance Alignment in Blue Ash. Maybe not the one you were referring to but the description is right on

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Performance is a great shop.

15. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    2 other things I found. Warped rotors or rotors with build up and non hubcentric wheels. The wheel doesn't center on the hub.

16. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Did you replace your U-Joints as well? Could be an issue there if not. Also, not sure what wheel/tire combo you got from Seven, but contact Mike and let him know if balancing is the issue and it doesn't get sorted out.