Classic Mini Fun Run #5

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Minidave, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We're gonna do it again!

This year's fun run will be Nov 5,6,7,8.

Location: Branson, Mo. - just north of the Arkansas border and an hour south of Springfield, Mo.

Last year we had a few new folks, one from Dallas and one from Florida. this year we'll have a new car from Tulsa and another from Arkansas, plus maybe a new one from Missouri.

We welcome any Classic Mini owners who'd like to join us, we're gonna have a blast hooning around the roads around the Missouri Ozarks.

There are lots of great attractions in this area too, in fact there's a great outdoor go kart track so we can have some races when we're not tooling around the hills in our Minis.

Host Hotel TBD

More as it happens!

2. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    VENUE CHANGE!

We've decided to move our base to Arkansas, since most all the roads we'll be running are there, so base hotel will be in Harrison, Ar.

Hotel TBD in a few days.

Remember, Nov 5,6,7,8 are the dates!

Get yer Mini on the road and come drive!

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Host Hotel -

Days Inn, Harrison Arkansas
    Phone: 1-870-391-3297

Rate $46.75/night plus taxes, 1 king bed, non-smoking

If you mention you're with the Mini group they'll give you this rate, otherwise it's $55/night

The weather looks perfect, mid-60's in the days and high 40's at night, so get yer motor runnin and come on down!

4. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well after seeing nothing but gloom doom and rain forecast for this coming weekend for the last month, today I check the weather and they've done an about face! Now they're saying sunny and dry for the whole weekend - Yay! Temps look perfect too - low 60's and sunshiney.

We'll see if this forcast holds up till Thursday, the day before we go, but so far I'm encouraged!

I've got my Miata seat bolted in, I reset the ride height and the alignment yesterday and Buzz seems to be running well. I am going to add a hose for some carb heat, he's a bit cold natured these days and I sure won't need my Aux cooler, so it's shut off.

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Congrats on the Royals' win last night! :Thumbsup:

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I sure hope those a different weather forecasters than the ones who predicted a 90% rain chance for the F1 race.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, well I'm waiting till Thursday to make the call, this is the midwest and it can change pretty quickly around here.....

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0

Thanks, that was one hell of a game last night! Could have gone either way right up till the 12th.....

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Allrightythen.....we are go for liftoff!

The weather looks perfect, sunny and mid 60's all weekend! We're heading down from KC on some fun Missouri backroads and will hit Harrison late in the afternoon Friday.

Saturday we'll head out for the big drive, and sunday morning we may do a short half day drive before heading home - or not.

All aboard! :Thumbsup:

10. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Have a great time! I will miss this one.

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Wish you could come too, but we're already making plans for a run in the spring again, hopefully closer to you.

I also thought it would be fun to do a run to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Al. I have a lot of contacts in the southeast (Fla, Ga and such) who might come to something a little closer like that. Surprisingly it's about the same drive time for either of us to Birmingham......

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We had a good run today.......but it didn't start out that way for me, I flooded my engine trying to get it started in the cold morning....... looks like I need to do a little carb work again. We pulled the plugs and dried them off and it started right up and gave no problems the rest of the day.

In fact all of our cars ran well all weekend, I'm happy to say - but it wouldn't be a classic Mini run if something didn't go wrong on at least one of the cars!

We put on a lot of miles today, had a lot of fun going around 30 mph corners at 60 and a great time was had by all! We did get stuck behind the occasional pickup, but most of the roads have passing sections if you can be patient enough to wait for it, and when you can't......

[​IMG]

This evening found Dan giving hood adjustment advice to Don, who said it cleared up one of his rattles!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we all head for home, it was a short weekend but well worth the time.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sunday morning it was cold - about 30* and Buzz wouldn't hit a lick, so I installed the new plugs I'd bought the day before "just in case", once the new plugs were in Buzz leapt to life on a quarter turn of the crankshaft! I guess it was just time for some new plugs.....

Once on the road we let Dan lead the way in his 998, which he did in fine style....

[​IMG]

We went to Dan's shop in Tulsa, we worked a deal where he will fix the gouges in Buzz's roof and I will put a clutch in a project car he bought here in KC, then I'll tow it down to Tulsa to his shop when he's done with Buzz. Win/win.

Buzz tucked away safely in Dan's shop-mahal....

[​IMG]

Dan just bought the shop and hasn't even moved his stuff in yet, so he won't get to start on any of his projects for a couple weeks yet.....or Buzz.

On the way home to KC I drove the last leg of 75 miles of so in Don's P'up, I haven't driven it since we came back from Ga in 2008 and it was fun to get behind the wheel again. It also reminded me how much I like the conversion - the power is effortless and now that the suspension and alignment are sorted the car really drives nicely. It still has huge NVH issues, maybe he'll let me sort those out for him too someday...