Oil Seal Question

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by BruceK, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I'm fixing an oil leak on my classic Mini and I have a question. I have a rod change gearbox and the leak is from the selector shaft. I've removed the roll pin on the coupling and pulled the old seal out. I was planning on fitting the 3 piece kit (aluminum collar to locate the shaft, new oil seal, and rubber bellows to keep road debris away), but it looks like there is already an aluminum locating collar in place on my car's gearbox. In fact, I can't remove that collar - there is nothing on it to allow me to hook it and pull it out. So... on one hand, it looks like the collar's O-ring must be in good shape and holding it in place, but on the other hand I'd like to install the brand new collar just to be on the safe side since I'm this far in.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I drill a small hole in the aluminum ring, screw a self tapper into it and pull it out.

Or you can leave it in there and simply install your new seal....it serves no sealing function, the o-ring around it is just there to hold it in place....and it simply provides support for the rod, so it doesn't wobble around as much and the seal will last longer.

It also helps locate the seal square to the bore.....

3. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave. I was thinking of drilling into at an angle to try to create a hole and use that to hook it out. But the self-tapper makes more sense.

I may just leave it in place since it's apparently doing its job pretty well.

4. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    (late) update: I left the existing collar in place. I figured it was doing its job and no reason to struggle to pull it out only to put an identical one back in there. I just replaced the oil seal itself and added the new collar to parts inventory for some possible use down the road sometime.

I did add the rubber bellows from the kit as I figured it might keep road grit off the selector shaft.