2nd Gen R55 Clubman MINI Fixed? - Heat issue in Footwell

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Carol, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Carol

Carol New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman had the timing chain done for the death rattle in January 2011 and the water pump replaced from the recall in Feb 2012.

I complained about the sunroof when I took the car for an oil change in March as well I complained about hot air blowing over my gas pedal foot.

I was told that the sunroof will not open properly if the temperature outside is hot. They did lubricate the sunroof but it still happens sometimes.

As for the really hot air flowing over my foot on the gas pedal - sometimes it is so hot I have to move my foot and use the cruise control or turn off the air conditioner. I have felt the inside wall beside the gas pedal and sometimes it is so hot it feels like it is going to burn my hand. When I turn off the car the fan inside the hood blow sometimes for 10 minutes after I turn off the car.

The dealership charged me for a scan (was supposed to be for the warranty) and then told this is a mini defect and nothing can be done. There is a hot air exhaust from the motor that blows hot air inside the car. They cannot change the flow of the air as it would be directed at the firewall. It never did this before and I have had the car since 2009.

Now that the cold weather has started I have turned on the heater and the hot air from the exhaust is burning my foot. I have an appointment with Mini today for an oil change and will discuss these issues with them again.

I love my car but I don't like defeating the purpose of air conditioning if hot air is going to burn my foot while I am driving.

Has any one else had this problem?

Carol

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: No Mame I haven't but I hope that all gets fixed propperly.:Thumbsup: and I bumped your post.:D

Jason

3. Carol

Carol New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carol

What do you mean you bumped my post?

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Bumping the post made it more visible, bringing it to the top of the queue again.

I've moved the post and made a new thread of it since it involves a different issue than what the original thread was about. Also made the title more descriptive so others will have a better idea of the issue at hand.

I don't much about the heat in footwell issue, but have heard of it before. Hopefully others that know more about it will chime in.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I can't help but think some of the heat shielding under the MINI is missing. Specifically the aluminum waffle patterned stuff that tucks up around the cat at the front end of the exhaust system. When they have it up on the lift, hopefully they will look to make sure it's still attached......

6. Carol

Carol New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carol

Thanks for the message Mettalman - the dealership sent me home again saying there was nothing they could do. :blush2: I will call them back with your suggestion and see what they say.:idea:

7. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I would take the SA out for a drive put them in the drivers seat, open the windows and crank up the heat. I'll bet they would look at it a little differently especially since they are probably wearing dress shoes which won't help much in the protection area. :idea:

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ this is a good idea. :yesnod:

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #9 Systemlord, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Delete

10. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I thought I would update this thread about the hot footwell area on the right side of the gas pedal. I had the thermostat housing replaced (updated dealer parts) and that panel next to the go pedal still gets hot after installing a brand new thermostat, this is just the way it was designed.

I haven't experienced enough hot weather to notice it in 2013, with the warm humid temperatures we have been having I believe I just didn't notice it until now. What I'm going to do is either wrap the heater core pipes in turbo wrap or use the proper size insulation foam part# 64 11 3 453 594, tomorrow I will give this part # to my local Mini dealer and see if the part # gets a hit.

Now I have a thermostat housing with only 3500 miles on it that operates perfectly, what's the going rate for a used thermostat housing?

Thank you.