2nd Gen R55 Clubman I cannot save her, Jim...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Tall Mini, Jan 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tall Mini

Tall Mini Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    :) Looking to perhaps get back into the Mini world. Ran across an R55 Clubman that has carbon issues. Don't know much about the car other than what is in the ad and that it is, cosmedically in pretty nice shape. Just wondering thoughts on if it is worth trying to save or...

I am pretty comfortable doing work on my own and I wouldn't "need" the car any time soon but I know cracking the head open on these gets pretty messy in a hurry.

"estimateDIAGNOSE CARBON ISSUE: FAILEDCOMPRESSION TEST ON #3 CYLINDER 25 PSI.WILL NEED TO R & R CYLINDER HEAD AND REPLACE / RESET VALUES AS NEEDED******Recommendations********R & R CYLINDER HEAD AND REPAIR AS NEEDED $2500 -$3000 (APPROX) "

Cars for Sale: 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S in Charlotte, NC 28202: Coupe Details - 388845022 - AutoTrader.com

2. Tall Mini

Tall Mini Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Sorry... realized I posted in the wrong section (damn re-noobs)

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Whatever...we are just happy to have you in M/A! Welcome, and good luck!:Thumbsup:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Well.... If it is the carbon issue (and it probably is with that mileage), the general cost to do the "Walnut Blast" is around $300 to $500.... And the head doesn't need to be pulled for the walnut method...

Have the dealer do a vin check and hopefully they can tell you what has been done to the MINI....

The mileage has gone past the extended warranty on the HPFP, which can be expensive...

Get the updated cam chain tensioner.... MINI went through 3 iterations.... If the vin check shows it hasn't been replaced.... OEM part cost is around $45.00, so not too expensive.... Easy to replace yourself...

I'd evaluate the clutch at that mileage.... The dealer charges a bit for that work...

For $3,800, I would think you have room to play with...