2nd Gen R55 Clubman LED Lights

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Bain1119, Nov 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bain1119

Bain1119 New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Information Technology
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    My name is Randy and I finally have my first Mini! Yay! It's a 2009 Clubman S and I LOVE it! I had a license plate bulb out and I decided to replace it with a Sylvania LED Premium White Light. It worked. No big deal. I decided I didn't want a LED and 1 non LED, so I purchased an identical light. Both work. I like the bright, white light but the car believes 1 or both lights are out. I could live with the warning indicator when I start the car but I'd rather not. I'd also rather not lose the LED lights but not sure if I have a choice. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your comments and your time! Randy

2. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Coding. Have the bulb check turned off (with a half dozen other things turned on).

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Can't help but welcome to MA!

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Normal incandescent bulbs have a filament wire that creates the light. The filament acts like a resistor....when the bulb stops working the ecu detects a change in resistance... That's what gives you the "Bulb Out"... Led lights don't typically show a proper resistance so the ecu thinks the bulb is out. Some companies add a shunt resistor to their led lights to fool the ecu. These led lights are listed as CAN-bus compatible. Search for CAN-bus compatible led bulbs on the interwebz or placeing a small piece of black electrical tape over the irritating indicator light also works....:D

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Metalman nailed it. If you do a little research you can find a resistor to add that will make it work right.