2nd Gen R55 Clubman Coolant leak help

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by busby77, Sep 15, 2016.

1. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, new to me 2010 clubman S, 45k miles. Yesterday after running errands around town, noticed hissing. Coolant dripping from water pump area, hissing and steaming from passenger side, no visible CEL, vehicle status "OK". Did get a couple audible notifications but nothing to indicate what that was. Sound like water pump or water pipe to pump? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!:Thumbsup:

One morning I found coolant on the garage floor from my '06 r53, and it was the water pump...even though it never acted overheated or anything like that. it drove ok, but I ended up replacing the pump.

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,975 / 6 / -5
    Hissing and steaming are never good sights and sounds under a hood of a car. A quick repair by you or a shop will save you big time as these little cars do not take to kindly to overheating.

Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Welcome!

Coolant leaks are very common on MINIs, at least on 2nd gen MINIs like yours and mine. The water pump gasket is one of the coolant leaks my 2007 CS had.IIRC, that was the leak my MINI had the day I bought it.

I never got a CEL from a leak in my MINI, but if the coolant level gets low enough, you will get an overheating warning light.

Eventually, your overflow tank will fail, too, but at least that is a ten-minute DIY fix.

You can expect some oil leaks in your future, too. What can I say, MINIs leak.

CD

5. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I tried replicating the issue again and was not successful. I have it up on stands now with the wheel well removed to try to get a better look. Rented a pressure tester but of course none of the caps fit, not even the bmw one. One thing I found interesting is that the coolant in the reservoir is blue, but what is leaking is green. Also not much coolant was missing from the reservoir. As much as I hate to do it this might be one for the shop as nothing is jumping out at me as obvious.

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    The coolant should be Pentosin blue. I suppose it is possible that the engine is full of Prestone, and the reservoir with Pentosin, but it seems like they would get mixed before long.

If the water pump gasket is leaking, it should drain the reservoir pretty quickly while at driving temperatures.

Not sure what to think.

CD

7. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's obvious coolant on the friction wheel and components below. Is there a bleeder screw in the area? Should I be looking at the turbo components? I have an appt at the local independent shop tomorrow, I'd just rather not have to do that route.

8. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I tend to doubt it is related to the turbo cooling.

If it isn't obvious where it is leaking, you probably won't know without a pressure test.

Besides, if the coolant in the engine is green, it is the wrong stuff. You should flush it and fill it, anyway.

CD

9. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks very much for al the help guys. Here's a few pix of what I'm seeing, I applied a filter to show more detail [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mystery solved! A/C line had a hole in the area of the water pump, all makes sense now. Thanks for all the help, cheers

11. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,975 / 6 / -5
    Thanks for informing us on what the problem was. :Thumbsup:

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Glad you figured it out, but I'm thinking an AC leak was not a cheap fix. I hope you didn't get bent over too bad.

CD

13. busby77

busby77 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not a cheap fix. Putting it off till tax season. It's the low a/c hose.

14. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    It is still AC season where I live. :frown2:

Make sure to set your controls so that your compressor doesn't run if you have a leak. If it is not fully charged, you can damage your compressor if it runs without refrigerant.

CD