2nd Gen R55 Clubman How does the heat shield go on the turbo oil feed line

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by olerodder, Jan 20, 2017.

1. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Sold manufacturing automation most of my life, as
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was given my best buddies 2010 Clubman S with 6700 miles when he recently passed away.
    There were a few parts still in the bags in the back and one of them is a heat shield for the turbo oil feed line. I'm not sure how it goes on and less sure what to do with the flexible aluminum shield as to how it goes on as there are no clamps. Does anyone have a picture or maybe explain how it goes on?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Are you talking about the heat shield I make mention of on my #2 post on this thread? If so, it just clips onto the oil line and the flexible material gets stuffed down between the turbo housing and the valve cover.
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/22470-cooling-turbo.html

3. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    No problem...

Enjoy your MINI present...

Oh.... And a few suggestions....

Watch the oil level, keep it towards the full mark...

Stick with OEM oil filters, or Mann filters... Never Fram or off brand...

Only use 100% synthetic oil... The brand doesn't really matter... It's for the turbo bearings...

Don't wait to change the oil at 20,000 miles... That's just plain crazy... Oil is relatively cheap compared to an engine or turbo replacement... I change mine at 5,000, but that's just me.

Get rid of the run flat tires and put a portable tire inflator in the boot and you will have a more comfortable ride.

Have the dealer check to see if the chain tensioner has ever been replaced... If not, have them put the latest revision... The part is about $35.00 + labor.

Oh and one last tip.... Don't buy any ALTA parts from David.0 on this forum..... He's real big on that brand for some reason...

5. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice.
    I did get a Craven dip stick as my old eyes couldn't tell where the oil was half the time...I've had a couple of turbo cars although my last one was an 88 Thurnderbird Turbo Coupe...and came close to running it out of oil more than once.
    I bought some OEM BMW filters for it, at least enough for a year or so of changing oil...the car is a 2010 and only has 6,750 original miles so I hope I don't have to change the chain for awhile.
    I bought the the sway bar only because it's 19mm and looked pretty solid and same with the turbo blanket as I really like the design of the ALTA rather than the one that kind of wraps around part of the turbo and nothing on the downpipe...just like it better.
    Yes, a set of regular tires will come I'm just having a hard time deciding on what size, 16, 17, or 18".

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I put 17" Rota RB wheels in Hyper Black on my Clubman. A friend in the local MINI club put 16" RBs on his wife's car and he has 17" Rota RBs on his MINI, he said the 17" Rotas are easier to clean because you can get your hand between the spokes on the 17s and not on the 16s.

I really like he looks of the Rota RB wheels, I haven't seen any other wheels I like better and they are about six pounds lighter, per whee,l than the stock wheels.

New wheels 2_zpss7bak0w5.jpg

7. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been looking at those on Ebay and really like that they are 17". I have also been looking at these real MiniLites for just a little more $$...the only thing is that they are 16x7, but the look is what I really like.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/9306-what-did-you-do-your-mini-today-post384366.html#post384366

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Keep in mind if you buy the Minilites & trash one you are going to be SOL because I believe they aren't in production anymore. Another thing is the spokes bow out past the wheel surface making them very susceptible to damage. I'd go with the Rota RB wheels, 16" for me, but no more that 17". 18" wheels if you like bent rims & busted tires.

9. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    No, they still make Minilite wheels.

http://www.minilitewheels.us/

I like the Rota RBs because, as you said, the spokes are recessed so they won't get curbed, they come in 17" size, and they come in hyperblack with polished rims, which I like a lot. They are also less much less expensive.

10. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Crashton is mostly correct as the picture I posted is the last set of Minilites in the US...the distributor is on the East Coast and told me he has the last set of EVO style in the US and it will take an order of 100 for them to start up production again in the UK.
    What size tires are you running on the 17" Rota wheels.
    I would really like to have a 50 or 55 sidewall and have been looking at 215x50x17's.
    When I had the car on the four post lift putting the Magnaflow exhaust on there didn't seem to be a lot of room around the rear trailing arms and the inside of the wheel...although my setup is OE 16" with 195x55x16 tires.

One last thought is that the Minilites have a 66.675mm hub where the Mini is 56.1mm. I could machine my own but it seems these are a weird size or am I wrong.

11. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
  12. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just wonder if the 215/50-17's would rub?