2nd Gen R55 Clubman Possible timing issues???? HELP

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Gendoeshair, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Gendoeshair

Gendoeshair New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 2008 mini cooper clubman keeps stalling as I come to stops =( I had the timing chain tensioner replaced by a local mechanic and it stopped doing it for about 3 days! now its doing it again only NOW there are two lights that come on as there were none before. the brake light is lighting up on my small dummy light indicator above the steering wheel and my hoist light on the main larger indicator right below it. affordability is definitely an issue. I'm praying its not the timing chain. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #2 Metalman, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    The MINI's have a wear sensor on the brake pads that when they wear down to the point just before they need to be replaced the sensor triggers the light on the instrument cluster...

The MINI also keeps track of mileage and probably is telling you that the brake fluid needs to be changed...

Both items triggers the instrument to light and are considered normal maintenance items...

The stalling is something else and it should throw a code telling you what is suspect...

Not sure which engine you have.... Turbo or non turbo... If turbo, you may need a walnut blast to clean your intake valves (based on your year model)... This is also normal maintenance for the DI engines.. Typically $300 - $500 to get a walnut blast....

Slightly cheaper if you supply the walnut shells...:wink:

3. olerodder

olerodder Member
    Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Sold manufacturing automation most of my life, as
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've got a 2010 Clubman S with only 7000 miles and although the car has not thrown any codes when I come to a stop the motor will momentarily loose RPM, then gain it back and idle normally.
    I suspect it could be a fuel issue and because my Mini has sat for a greater part of its life it could be the fuel filter/pump or injectors. I'm going to be tearing it down soon to replace the timing chain and will address the issues I mentioned during the tear down.