1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Top only goes down

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by patchelect, Oct 31, 2013.

1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #1 patchelect, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    I just picked up my '05 Cooper S and tried the top for the first time. Everything went well on the down action but pushing the up button results in nothing. No hum, no whirl, nothing. The key is in the on position, I even tried running the engine. Nothing at all. Am I overlooking something? The manual says to press the button on the left to close, the one on the right to open. the opening went well and the pump ran. However the closing is deader than the proverbial doorknob.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am missing? I did change the battery today and initialized the windows, but there was no mention of the top needing it and checking with my Bentley Book there is nothing in there either.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  3. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I saw that, but I'm trying to avoid it. Besides, it doesn't fix the problem, only puts the top up for a while!!

Appreciate the input tho~~ I'll try and post the outcome. The car was purchased from a dealer just last night so if I'm lucky I can run it into him tomorrow and he might just be able to figure out the issue if only for an immediate repair. And HE can put the danged thing up manually instead of me!!

4. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #4 patchelect, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    I also checked the fuses and at least the 5 amp on the top of the holder is good. I attempted to get to the 50 amp underneath, but it was such a pain to get to I gave up.

5. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried the key in the door lock? Driver's side door, turn the key to the right to lock the doors and the hold it there. The top should go up and close including running up the windows. If that works then it may just be the button.

6. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Didn't think about the key bit. Tried it but no go. Things locked, but the top remained silent and immobile. The windows didn't move either, although they might not until the top has cycled.

One thing I wonder is about that platform in the trunk that you need to move. I don't know if I had it in the right place. The top worked but I don't know if there's any safety in the positioning. I had an Audi A4 that needed a flap to be in a specific location or the top wouldn't go down, but it was also an electrical interlock to prevent anything from going wrong. This shelf/flap doesn't appear to have an interlock. If I put the top down and it was in the wrong place I don't know if that caused a problem and blew the 50 amp fuse that is mounted in the bottom of the fuse block and not the 5 amp on the top that is still good.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If the shelf is out of place the top won't go down in the first place. This is a common problem - your problem is unusual.

When any of the "safeties" are presenting the top from moving, the light on the switch will normally blink rapidly while you're pressing it. Again, this is usually a problem when putting the top down. The shelf must be in the lower position and the leg on the left must be fully depressing the switch there. Also both of the levers inside the boot must be completely latched. But these are top down issues, and result in the blinking light.

If you get no blink, sounds electrical, fuse or short.

I'll check my troubleshooting guide and schematic for any clues..,

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Here's an easy test.

Ignition on (running).

Put the windows up with the window switches. That work? Good.

Press and HOLD top UP button for several seconds, and watch the LED on the top down button. What happens? Nothing? What SHOULD happen is the CVM (Convertible top Module) should drop the windows a bit before it starts the hydraulic pump.

Press and hold the top DOWN button button for several seconds, and watch the LED on the top down button. What happens?

If the second test worked, and the first didn't, then it's something related specifically to closing - probably a sensor that I can't identify. Find the manufacture date for your car. Hold-down latches were added in 9/2005 I think, maybe that's a factor... just guessing now.

If it doesn't even try to drop the windows in either test, and if the top down button never blinks, then sounds like there could be a bad fuse or relay, or the CVM could be problematic.

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Have you cycled the windows up and down then tried the top up button?

10. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    For the weekend I won't be able to try anything. I'm out of town until Sunday evening. I'll probably get time Monday during the day, weather permitting.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!

11. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I just got back to this problem and tried the abovementioned suggestions. The light on the switches doesn't go on for anything. The key in the door idea resulted in the doors locking and nothing else.

I truly believe I managed to blow that 50 amp fuse. No time to fiddle until tomorrow evening. Gotta go to work tomorrow, and taking the car out is impossible because my driveway is getting repaved and probably won't be drivable until Tuesday at the earliest.

In the meantime I'll make it my business to get to that 50 amp fuse that's on the bottom of the holder. STUPID~STUPID~STUPID BMW design!!! Serviceability mustn't be in their vocabulary. They probably have a three hour charge to access the thing! :mad5: :cryin:

12. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Continuing my adventure, as if anyone really cares!!

Tonight I tried again and nothing. I resigned myself to a manual raising of the top. I got my trusty sidekick, the missus, and I opened the breather on the pump, we lifted the right and left sides of the top mechanism and the top went ip smoothly under manual power. At that point I wasn't clear as to the next step and out of frustration I tried the power again. Lights on, pump engaged, and the sunroof closed and the windows went up too. I'm bringing it back to the dealer I bought it from without trying the top up and down until I get there, but since it is a used car lot and not a Mini dealer, I haven't got much hope for anything to be "discovered". I intend to run it through a full cycle while I'm there to see what happens.

The story will continue tomorrow~~

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like some sort of safety interlock is not functioning until a certain top raised point is reached.

14. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Back up buddy, some of us do care. We got canvas too and are always interested in solutions to potential problems.

15. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  16. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I never meant anything negative, just a sarcastic bit. I'm here along with everyone else to help and offer ideas.

Honest!!!

:Thumbsup:

17. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    A continuation on my adventures. I finally got a chance to manually raise the top. I got it to the top up, sunroof open position and couldn't figure out how to manually close the sunroof. Out of frustration, I decided to try the buttons again. The lights lit and the top motored to the closed position! Go figure. I took the car back to the selling dealer and and tried to show him what was happening. The sunroof opened but after that all we would hear was the pump motor running but no motion occurred. His guy spent time with it and has determined that the pump is bad and has ordered a pump. In the meantime I have the car back until the part arrives next week. While I want to believe the pump being bad is the only problem, I'm puzzled as to why the entire electrical function shut down no matter what I did, until I manually raised the top to the sunroof position.

I should know the outcome in the next week or so.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good luck with your repair and hope everything works out for you in the end.

FYI when one little thing fails in a Mini lots of other little stupid things happen.

I think it should be called the "Ghost of Lucas"

19. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    BMW has a tradition to uphold!! :wink:

20. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    On the other hand, just the mention of that name could accidently stir up gremlins that should be left quietly sleeping. Having dealt with Lucas gremlins I can assure you that their presence is not desirable.

Sure do hope a pump is all that is needed to sort this out.