1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Removing stuck Rear Tag screws.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by patchelect, May 30, 2015.

1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have discovered that the screws that were used to secure the rear tag on my Cabriolet are frozen in the nylon holders. Any attempts to remove them only results in the nylon insert turning in the hole. I cannot access them even by taking the truck cover off. They appear to be inserted into another section of the sheet metal. Anyone have any ideas? I may have to resort to messing up the tag to pry the nylon out and then get new inserts.

2. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    You're talking about the screws that hold the plate to the holder......... or the screws that attach the holder to the actual hatch?

Are you struggling with 4 screws or 2?

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #3 wmwny, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    I have the same problem on my R53 hatchback, in the back. The screw heads holding the plate to the holder are stripped and penetrating oil doesn't work. Do I just break off the tag holder and use a locking wrench to try to twist the screws loose, or do I consider cutting off the screws with a hacksaw and probably really having an even worse problem on my hands? I will entertain any reasonable suggestions.

4. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Get a piece of 1"x lumber behind those 4 mounting screws and drill them out. Carefully. Then just get yourself a new plate holder. It's really all you can do.

5. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    This happened to me too. I ended bending the plate up and removing the whole bracket from the car. I was able to get them off but I destroyed some pieces in the process. Bought new inserts for the car that the screws go into, and new screws and bracket from the dealer.

6. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I tried to take the cover off from inside but couldn't see any access to behind the screws anyway. Looks like drilling is the only way.

7. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    You are talking about the two screws for the actual holder?! (#20 in the pic)

[​IMG]

You're saying that the #19 nutserts are spinning in the actual hatch? If so, good luck. I've never seen those strip loose.

8. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The car is a convertible, but the screw inserts that are spinning are the ones that hold the plate screws, not the frame screws. It's all the same in the long run since on the vert we have a double set of those inserts. Drilling them out seems like the only solution. My stupidity was not replacing them originally with S/S hardware.

9. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Ok. So, yeah... drill those plate screws out. It's really all you can do, unless you feel like cutting your plate. Or you have some magic kind of snip that you can get in between the plate and the hatch to snip the holder itself.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Remember this, stainless steel hardware is your friend. Especially in the corrosion filled environment of the rear plate. :yesnod:

11. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    ^^ and even with SS... some good old anti-seize never hurts either.