1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Convertible top alignment...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Goldsmithy, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I went to the Dragon last weekend and when I went to put up the top, the hook on the left side connected OUTSIDE of the socket and resulted in a water leak on the passenger side (which caused my wife to ***** :) ) I was able to get the top to close properly, but it was a chore. Is top loading positionable.

There is a recall from MINI dealing with adjustment of the convertible top. I had it done in June. Is this the cause?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mine never did that. But the top IS adjustable. Very. It's a black art. I've never done it.

3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I went to the dealer this morning to diagnose my top issues. Well, Murphy was on my shoulder again...the 2 techs familiar with tops had called off sick. But, I got the seat recall done.

I am having a hard time finding out anything about adjusting a convertible. The SA did say that I might be facing having to have the whole front assembly replaced. I told them to email me the estimate...I want to be in the proper frame of mind (thanks 10) when I look at it.:)

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Hope it will be good news

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You should NOT need to have the assembly replaced for the problem you're describing. Though that MIGHT be the only option the dealer gives you.

MSRP on the top frame only (not the fabric, no labor) is about $5600.

Someone who knows what they're doing (or is willing to figure it out) can align your top.

If the actual mechanism isn't functioning properly, that may be a broken cable or some other broken part requiring replacement. There are SOME parts that aren't available separately, unfortunately.