Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Horsepower Increase?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by bezoar, Jul 1, 2012.

1. bezoar

bezoar New Member

May 14, 2011
    Physician Assistant in Emergency Medicine
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering if there are any shade tree things that can be done to increase HP on a 2011 cooper s

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    First, believe me when I say I'm not being a smart arse or condisending...the best thing to do is to paeticipate in some HPDE's and fine tune your driving skills. Your S as built will rarely be pushed to use all the horsepower it currently has. The power to weight ratio and the go cart handling make it one of the most fun experiences out there. Once you have taken it to its limits, start improving its performance. Just my opinion.

3. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    This couldn't be more true. Spend money on education, tires, suspension, and brakes first. Adding power to the MINI is kind of like adding a cherry on top of a big ice cream sundae.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The first thing I would do to add power to a 2011 MCS would be add a Forge FMIC, it will give you power you will actually feel. Then you can other parts like discharge pipe, downpipe and so on.

5. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well since these motors are already stressed enough, I would concentrate on upgrading the suspension, feeling how my 03 S,compares to my wives 09 S, a nice tight suspension will do wonders.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The suspension is already better than my driving skills will let me drive, so improving the suspension is the last thing on my list of mods. Making it go faster is just fun and I can do that in a straight line!

A bigger intercooler and/or water-meth injection and more open exhaust will give you more oomph!

Dave

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I would say buy one of the best FMIC you can buy and not get a copy cat one.

Helix Motorsports

Helix Stepped Core Intercooler
    Helix is proud to be the innovator of the world's first Stepped Core Intercooler.

The Helix Stepped Core Intercooler design has a bigger frontal ambient face combined with thicker-than-stock core that seals to the radiator fan/shroud. The cast end tanks have factory charge pipe angles. Unlike stepped-core copies that have surfaced, the Helix SCI features cast end tanks for reduced turbulence and bull-nosed bars on the ambient face as well as the hot side of the intercooler.

This increases air flow across the face of the intercooler as well as reducing pressure drop through the core. The core of the Helix SCI has increased fin density and will flow 250 horsepower with only a 0.5PSI pressure drop, while greatly reducing heat soak.

Installation is relatively straight forward and requires no cutting, drilling or permanent modifications to your vehicle.

Please see the graphs to the left showing the results from the data logging of our stock R56, with only the Helix Stepped Intercooler installed. The graphs compare intake manifold temperatures between the stock intercooler and the Helix SCI as datalogged on the street in similar conditions