Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Anyone replacing fuel injector seals themselves?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by oldbrokenwind, Apr 16, 2014.

1. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    This time I’m doing my own mod rebuild work, and making most of the expected first-timer Mini overhaul mistakes. I’m posting this to help others NOT make the same mistake.

Stripped the head of all attached parts and sent it to Thumper for more upgrades. Then pulled the engine / trans from the car to replace rods and pistons with CP Carrillo versions. When the head came back, I installed it BEFORE adding any of the other head-attached parts. As I assembled it, still out of the car, I saved the intake and FI for last —- no good reason, just seemed easier. Original plan was to take the injectors and rail to the dealer, pay them to change the seal, bring it home and install it on the head. DOESN’T WORK THAT WAY! Newly installed seals will expand after a few minutes, making it “impossible†(so I’m told) to install in the head.

Then, re-reading Bentley’s FI seal install process, I started looking for the special tool to change the seal. Only found one source —- Assenmacher Specialty Tools —- listed in the Bentley manual, and they don’t sell retail. Had to find a local source that would do business with AST. $300 later, it’s in the mail.

Ideally, I would have taken the bare head, with injector seal kits, to the dealer for them to install the seals. Then brought it home to finish assembly. Labor costs probably would have been comparable to tool costs, maybe less, but the frustration levels would have been minimal.

So, in about another month or two, after the engine is re-assembled, broken in, and my confidence level is back up there, I’ll have a FI Seal Set tool for sale. Anyone wanting this tool can start negotiations via PM.

2. Agbullet25

Agbullet25 Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Central Texas
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    So we have to have a special tool just to change the seals out on the fuel injectors? Gotta love BMW sometimes.

3. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    can you post alink to a photo of that tool?

4. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Here 'ya go --- (edit --- Might have to search the site for the tool # 130190)

Assenmacher Specialty Tools from ASTtool.com

Instructions on how to use it can be found in the Bentley manual. The AST part # matches the Bentley part # --- 130190, and the illustrations.

Before you buy one, try working with your local dealer --- BMW or Mini. I was able to order "the factory tool" thru a dealer (not local) for this task at about half the price. Gotta admit, it's still in the mail so it hasn't been verified to be the correct tool --- yet. I'll post something here after seals are replaced.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  6. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Thanx Nathan, I don't do enough posting to know how to get the best links.

7. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Tool came on today's UPS truck. Looks just like the photos Nathan posted. Worked pretty good too! Seals have been replaced, and fuel injectors w/rail are now installed. Now to finish the assembly process ---

Box is labeled with a BMW Group # --- 83 30 0 495 756
    It also has the Bentley tool # on the label --- 13 0 190

I wouldn't even think about replacing this seal without a tool similar to this one.