Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Help with Devil's Own Universal 2.5 Bar system

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nine5raptor, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hello MINI family,

Trying to install a Devil's Own system on a 2010 MCS.

Followed the directions and have all wires hooked up as shown in the directions...

Pump function has been verified by grounding pre-controller. Works fine.

Low level float has been verified (turn over and get yellow light).

Power for pump and controller are straight from battery.

Ground is back to battery negative.

+12v acc is from 'phone' fuse which showed correct operation with multimeter.

Controller turns on and off as it should.

When I apply a signal to the green wire between the set points, the pump flashes the yellow 2.5 times and repeats that sequence. Above the upper set point, the yellow goes solid as it should. Problem is, the pump and green light are not on as they should be. I do not get the spray I am expecting. For a signal, I have used map sensor, throttle position sensor, and 3vdc and 4.5vdc sources. Signals are clean.

Been trying to work with tech support but the one guy I keep getting is no help and the owner (who he says I need to talk with) has been out. Anyone have this system and had this issue?

Blimey, how about you?

Thanks

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. I don't have a clue about how to do this on a 2nd gen car.

But I'd quadruple-check your wiring for the controller

3. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I opted for the same kit you have. I didn't want to run a boost tap and run theirs with a built in map. The voltage controlled unit gives more options. I've rewired it a couple of times and components operate independently...just not with the controller. Now I'm suspicious of my turn on wire, but the controller turns on fine.

I emailed Chance at DO directly last night (found his email on another DO board).

4. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    And I wasn't trying to accuse you of withholding the magic that makes these things work. I just didn't know if you had seen a similar condition.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    It's been a long time - but I do recall some initial wiring funkiness before I got everything "right". Testing the signal wire is pretty easy. Disconnect it from the sensor and just touch it to the battery terminal. It should light up like a christmas tree and the pump should come on full blast. If not, suspect your pump wiring.

6. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Finally got ahold of Chance today after trying for 1.5 weeks. Said they would like the controller back. The pattern of lights I was seeing should not be. He would like to bench test the controller.

Looks like I just had to post here to get things moving along!

7. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    So, I decided to keep the controller and troubleshoot more. After talking with chance several times, it seems the issue is the float, or low level sensor. I have verified that the float itself works and I have verified that the wiring is good from the controller to the float. The issue is having the wire physically installed in the controller. I put the wire in and cut it off 8 inches from the controller and i observed the same behavior. I then disconnected the wire completely from the controller and it works just fine. I may wire up a separate circuit for the low level sensor. I am also talking with Devils own about what may cause this. It may be a defect with the controller board and how the wire physically fits into it.