Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S One More AccessPort Pro Dyno Tuner

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by oldbrokenwind, Aug 5, 2014.

1. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    I really like my AccessPort! Never used any of the “canned†maps, but went straight to a dyno tune, by Jeff Perrin and at the Cobb Surgeline facility near Portland, OR. Results are posted on their website dyno page. That was in May, 2011.

The only other Mini Cooper AP Pro tuner I’ve been able to find, until recently, has been OxSpeed, somewhere on the east coast. After viewing another build thread, and giving advice on how to connect a Garrett turbo, they told me about another tuner. Located near Salt Lake City, they’re only a short days drive from me. Mini’s don’t appear to be their specialty, but they have the software, dyno, and talent. Here’s a link to their website —-
    Home » Ziptie Dynowerks - Subaru & Evo Dyno Tuning in Utah

Their dyno, a Mustang built for 4-wheel drive cars, will give “odd†results for 2-wheel drive cars, unless the stability control feature is switched off. This is probably the reason for the low readings on their site’s single (as of this posting) Mini Cooper. My results, not yet posted, vary by about 10 WHP and 20ft/lbs, depending on which gear is used, 3rd or 4th (different loads). I’m attaching both charts. I’m told that the higher numbers were from 4th gear.

My Cobb tune is linear, and impressive. I asked these guys for a non-linear tune, which should produce better street results. They said that if needed, the tune can be “refined†remotely —- data logs and emails. I’ll be asking them more about that later.

Before getting to their facility, be sure to update your AP firmware. Mine wasn’t, and it took an hour or so to get it current —- an AP Pro requirement, before tuning can proceed. And, before you leave their facility, be sure you have everything you want —- it took a couple weeks for me to get both charts.

Attached Files:

2. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    No AFRs on the dyno? Running more boost than the map sensors can handle. Wonder how long it will last.

3. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Been running 25PSI for about a year with a Jeff Perrin remote tune --- no problem. The pair of FCD's don't let the ECU know about the excess boost. But, there are other factors, like MAF, that won't match the ECU boost readings. That's why I was pushing hard for another dyno run.

I'm still not running my new map --- trying to get used to the new turbo. When I switch to the new map, what do you think I should be watching out for? What will a "bad" AFR cause? Think I should data log a quick run to check AFR?

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    If AFR means Air/Fuel Ratio, then a lean AFR would be bad and could cause a melted piston.

5. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    the problem when tuning above a "clamped" sensor is...........the car cannot properly fuel the car in all circumstances............can it be done sure......but it always ends badly

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I loved my access port on my Subaru.

7. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Just finished trying to datalog the AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio). Also just found out that AFR is not available on the AP.

Is there some way, other than another dyno run, to monitor or calculate the AFR? Or maybe some other measurement to evaluate this characteristic?

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    OT...I ate a bunch of Mexican food last night and my air/fuel ratio has been messed up all day....and no one enjoys it's characteristics :)

Now, back on topic.

9. Nine5raptor

Nine5raptor New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Should be able to log Afr with the AP. I can see it on mine.

Will be labeled 'Lambda(AFR)'

10. oldbrokenwind

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    With a user ID like "OldBrokenWind", I should expect comments like this ---

Did a little more research and discovered AFR is AKA "Lambda". Maybe "AFR" is too easy to understand / communicate? I didn't see it originally because I didn't expand the data log chart columns to show complete headings --- getting lazy in my old age! One more bit of knowledge to file away.

Anyhow, my Ziptie map is running AFR's between 11 and 13 --- a quick 2nd gear run. My original Perrin map is a little tighter between 11.5 and 12.5 --- a longer 3rd gear run.