Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Countryman Coolant Temp Sensor?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jeffster06, Feb 15, 2015.

1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Hope this is the right place, after posting this on some FB groups I think I need more information. I have attached a pic of what I believe to be my coolant temp sensor on my 2012 countryman s all 4 (65k miles so I am out of warranty ) either way the sensor in the picture is leaking. Is there a place I can get a replacement o ring for the sensor? Some people have said I will need to change ny thermostat housing and the hose the sensor is currently connected to. Any info I can get on this would be great.

Attached Files:

2. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    bump, no one has any info on this?

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Haven't heard anything about it, sorry.

4. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    MINI did some coolant temp sensor location changes. You have the temp sensor that is in the metal elbow housing, I have started to see these come back with slight leaks. MINI does not offer an oring for that sensor. I have seen just the oring replaced with no problems to follow. If you are under factory warranty go back to your local dealer and have that replaced under warranty.

5. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    From my searches I can't even find the sensor. I am out of the warranty on mileage, I plan on trying to change the oring this weekend and will watch it from there.

So far trying to find detailed info on this has been a pain. I guess the part I am stuck on is I was told my car had the coolant sensor recall done on it, my understanding is the sensor on the metal elbow is the recall and the thermostat housing with the sensor is original problem design, but all I find when I search are parts for the thermostat housing with the sensor.... did they do a recall then revamp the housing after the fact?

6. eMINIparts

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    They have done many changes on that temp sensor. Take that sensor out, bring it with you to the parts house and match that o-ring up. MINI does not offer that o-ring by it's self.

7. BLacher

BLacher New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How does the sensor come out, is it just pressure fit with o-ring? Do I just pull it out?

8. eMINIparts

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Squeese the tabs and pull up.

9. BLacher

BLacher New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, but I am feeling a little dense (and not at vehicle right now). What tabs please? Are they in the little windows on the sensor housing? or on the sensor above the housing?
    Thanks.

10. eMINIparts

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Unplug the harness from the sensor. ( there should be a squeese tab for that too) when you have that off you can see the sensor , it has a tab on each side, squeese them and pull up. Its gonna be corroded and gonna be a bit of a pain to pull out.

Hope that this info is helpful.

11. BLacher

BLacher New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Excellent info, worked brilliantly.
    I wanted to mention that I found an o-ring that would work. I took OEM to Advance Auto Parts, they didn't have one in the o-ring index boxes. However, there was one in the 'HELP' card p/n 80000. When you buy the card with many different sizes, the correct one is fairly obvious. It is black rubber, as opposed to the green that came off of sensor, but so far (two days now) it is working great. No more leak. Approx size is 9mm ID x 13mm OD.

12. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    bringing this back to life, I changed the oring back when I created this post the sensor is still looking pretty clean. I have developed a new coolant leak recently, oddly enough I saw a puddle in the garage about a week after topping off the coolant, I should also add I changed my oil at this time and saw no signs of a coolant leak. From looking under the car its hard to tell where the leak is, it appears to be rolling off the bell housing should I assume the thermostat is leaking now? I removed the intake hose and pushed stuff out of the way and I don't see any signs of leaking on the top side of the housing (what little I could see).

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I replaced 2 plastic thermostat housings (jarvic heart) on or 11 CMS. The leak was hard to find but both times it solved the issue.

14. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Guess i'll dig deeper and see if I can find a trace, of course now that I have seen the leak and the residue I can't catch it in the act, which would most likely narrow it down.

15. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Just checked it again, no drips.... looked at the sensor and its wet guess my new oring has failed already. ill be changing that again, at least that is a quick fix. maybe ill find a better oring to use this time.

16. BLacher

BLacher New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jeff, I just recently changed my oil as well. I did notice that when I had the coolant tank moved out of the way- some coolant leaked (small drip) from the hose at the bottom of the tank. It is just a push on connection, so I made sure to push it all the way on when re-installing tank. HTH

17. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Definitely was the o-ring again, I swapped it out with one I had laying around, haven't checked it recently but a day later it was still dry and the coolant level hadn't changed. Maybe this is why MINI changed the sensor location.