Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S P2187 System too lean at Idle bank 1?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Brian, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S w/Turbo, and seems to be running great but I can't get rid of the P2187 code, where the common database verbage is "System to lean at Idle bank 1". I am not sure how accurate those descriptions are, but it appears that it's some kind of vacuum leak. Through this process, I've tried many things and during this process I found other things on my car that needed fixing.

When I first started, I had a P1497 - "Secondary Air System Bank 3 Incorrect Flow", but I got rid of that one after doing the following;

1. Performed various smoke tests through the PCV, the intake and the dipstick, etc, and ended up replacing a cracked PCV valve, a hissing valve cover, the o-Rings on my vacuum pump, a new intake hose (fabricated), new gas cap, cleaned MAF, plugs, etc. After all of this, the P1497 CLEARED.

2. Now, I'm left with the P2187. I have tried smoke testing it more, spraying starter fluid, and propane in many spots and I cannot get the idle RPM's to budge up or down. The car runs fine and I am unable to find anything. My next step is to try Seafoam through the PCV valve and see if something happens. You would laugh, I mean I've sprayed everything with both propane and starter fluid and I think I've used almost 3 full cans of it and still nothing. I've even gotten underneath of the car and sprayed everything. Nothing.

I've heard various folks blame the High Pressure Fuel Pump, but when that happens... one would at least assume that the car would run rough or not start well. I don't have any issues like that. It starts up first time and sounds great. Because I've never driven another Mini Cooper, it is possible that I am not understanding the true performance of a Mini Cooper. I also read something about a Leak Diagnostic Pump which is supposed to be back by the gas tank. At this point, just looking for some help to find this thing!

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Brian

Brian New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Quick Update -- I tried the Seafoam today, while the car was running put a small amount into the PCV hose, let it sit for 30 minutes, then started it... blew out a lot of white smoke until it was clear. Then I drove it for about 10 miles with turbo on and off, it drove like a champ, I noticed a little bit of a (very slight) performance enhancement in the smoothness of the pickup. It appears that when I did that it threw a slew of fault codes, so my guess is that it might take a couple days to clear out. Regardess, the car runs great... just can't figure this out!

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

4. Brian

Brian New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank Nathan. Think I should post this in another thread? No takers..?

5. 2010Chili

2010Chili New Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Wage slave
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    HPFP was what I finally ended up replacing to kill that code. Wasn't cheap either

6. Brian

Brian New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've thought about the HPFP, but I was assuming that if it were the HPFP, then I would easily have some symptoms in performance. Especially related to the proper amount of fuel being pumped in. But, I'm not having any performance issues related to "fuel intake" that I can observe. When you replaced yours, were you suffering from any problems with acceleration, or not getting enough gas, or anything like that?

7. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have the exact same problem on my 2009 mini cooper s (r57 convertible) n14 engine.

ive been looking everywhere and couldn’t find a single post the went through some trouble shooting to narrow down the problem.

i recently bought the car a couple of months ago and started driving it ever since. I fixed all the oil/coolant leaks, replaced the timing chain and the car runs great. Recently the car is making a vacuum sound around the valve cover and now i have the same to codes you have. Car runs great but at idle the rpm slightly move up and down but nothing to crazy and the car is still drivable.

Saw your post but with no update. Did you found out what was causing the problem?

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! how many miles are on your car? I’m not the best Gen 2 Guy most of my knowledge is Gen 1. I do have an R58 with the N14. Are you showing the same codes? The valve cover on the N14 engine is part of the PVC system it’s not just a valve cover. Due to heat they will start to leak, long shot but that could be part of the problem. When was the last time the intake valves were walnut blasted? They can build up gunk in as little as 35-40K due to it being a direct injection engine. If not taken care a valve will hang open then it’s time for a rebuild. The vacuumed pump can be problematic on these cars, maybe take a listen to it.

9. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Jan 22, 2021
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the advice, car milage is 119k ish. So far I’ve put 4k miles to it. Current codes are: p1497 and p2187.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    You could take a look at the plastic pipe that goes from the intercooler to the intake. It becomes brittle and cracks. But I doubt it would cause those codes. It does sound more like a vacuum leak.

11. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance.