Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Changing the Stock Turbine / Turbo?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by genik, Jun 10, 2016.

1. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I want to place a new turbine cause the stock need replacement. What are my alternatives, how do i begin searching?

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    The original turbocharger is best, unless your car will be tuned for a JCW turbocharger or a bigger hybrid turbocharger. There is no advantage to a larger turbocharger unless you have the ECU tune to go with it.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #3 ZippyNH, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Since you talk about trying to avoid NVH, and trying to avoid codes, I would suggest a stock unit...
    Cheap Chinese rebuild fail due to lack of balanceing in just weeks....quality here counts....big time...they turn at 15,000rpm+ and cheap parts and bearings fail fast....

But if you want a great turbine....
    [​IMG]
    You will get a HUGE boost in power....but you fuel economy will suffer...and the noise.... don't even ask...it is a Pratt&Whitney JT8....

4. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    #4 genik, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Why are you saying im trying to avoid NVH? Ok i get it, maybe because in some other thread i mentioned something about drive comfort?... ok but why you say that im trying to avoid codes?

5. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Suppose i want to go for more horse power and do not want to go for a JCWcharger what are my options out there? Is there something reliable that can be done to the car for daily use?

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    May I suggest, til you have the local expertise to tune the car, you keep it stock.
    The stock turbo and or even the JCW can make quite a bit of hp....
    But it sounds like you are going from a basic stock setup to thinking about a big turbo arrangement, never having tried to turn up what you have with a tune.
    Sometimes the questions you ask should have been explained within about 30 seconds with a good competent mechanic having a chat about your car....and frankly, unless you are mechanically inclined, doing serious mods becomes a $$$ event unless you have some help, and a good mechanic that really knows these cars .
    I just call them how I see it. I see you have dreams if having the biggest, baddest MINI in Greece, but you don't have the support to do it....

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^. No, stay OEM.

8. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ZippyNH thanx, i really appreciate your mature comments! Its not that i want to have the baddest mini of all, i just want to be one step ahead from the crowd.
    Regarding the tune, i was thinking of Manic.
    Dave i consider your comment also ;-)

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    For uprated turbos most go with a K04 variant of some type.

Tradeoffs

Take longer to spool up, lose low end grunt.

MUST, I repeat, MUST have a tune to work with it. You'll throw codes anyway most likely.

Often run into limits with the ECU and it's ability to limit torque. If the ECU see's a potential reading of more torque than programed for the ECU will cut things back. This somewhat negates the use of the bigger turbo, you can't use the power it help to create due to ECU limits.

More than the turbo needs to uprated. Fuel system and intake should also be uprated to match.

I have gleaned this info from reading and talking to people. I do not have an R56 S, so no direct experience.

10. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I put a Jcw turbo on with no tune I noticed zero gains whatsoever. I also popped into limp mode every once in a while.

11. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    As others have said, changing turbos is not as simple as "changing turbos."

Modern cars are computer controlled, and the computer is programed by the manufacturer for the turbo installed at the factory. If you change to an aftermarket turbo, you have to change your computer (ECU), or have it re-programmed.

This change can easily turn into big $$$.

CD

12. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Big bucks and major effort, but go for a ported head. This should get significant results all by itself. Next, get a Manic tune, Nick works wonders with the R56. For nickel and dime stuff, colder spark plugs, change the air hoses --- pre and post turbo --- get rid of the kinks and wrinkles to allow better engine "breathing". There's also Howerton's HFS4 Water/Meth Injection --- more big bucks, but it helps keep intake valves clean while producing power. These are all "daily driver" friendly mods that have little effect on reliability.

As others say, a bigger turbo gets more power, but as Nathan says, there's sacrifices --- reliability included, when choosing a poorly designed hybrid.

13. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanx oldbrokenwind, but what is a ported head? Change the air hoses to what? What do you mean by kinks and wrinkles?

14. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I would hold off on the ported head, for now.

If your turbo is toast, replace it with a OEM turbo, and do a "tune." Basically, a "tune" is a replacement or re-programing of your ECU (computer). On a turbocharged engine, that is the easiest and most cost effective way to add usable horsepower.

I have done it on previous turbocharged cars, and it unleashes a lot of power already available with factory hardware. It adds boost and allows more fuel to flow to match the added boost.

On my Audi 1.8Turbo, I got 35 extra HP and 50 extra ft/lbs of torque by replacing my factory ECU with an APR ECU, and the drivability was actually improved.

I don't know crap about who makes a good ECU or "tune" for MINIs, but I do know you need to have a reliable turbo. Again, if your turbo is toast, replace it with an OEM turbo, then look at a "tune."

CD

15. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Here's a link to the guy that did my head work. http://www.thumperheads.com There's a good explanation of "ported head" there.

Take a look at your own air hoses, including the "hard pipe" by the passenger wheel well --- notice a flat spot or two. Then there's the popular "muffler delete" for a hose near the intake manifold. And the turbo inlet hose, often included as part of a cold air intake mod. These are the ones I refer to as having kinks and wrinkles. What you change them to depends on the mods you add. My mods required virtually all of them to be replaced.

Caseydog is correct, that if your turbo needs replacing, you should focus on that --- IF you want back on the road soon. The ported head and tune will take time. There are aftermarket turbos out there with reliability as good or better than OEM, and if you're after BIG HP you need one of them, not OEM.

A good tune works wonders for any engine. With a limited budget, this is a good mod to start with. What you do and when you do it probably depends on your budget and goals. I suggest you find a tuner you can work with, preferably a Manic tuner. Explain your wants and needs, and listen to their advice.