Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Going Bigger Turbo (42MM) and Accessport Tuning?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Spade, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My current turbo (wastegate linkage/actuator) doesn't seem to be liking the Accessport Stage 3 tune.

Anytime I hit 50%+ throttle in 5th or 6th at low RPM it goes into limp mode. Believe to be the ECU isn't seeing as much boost produced as it's calling for.

Skeptical of it's longevity (even tho it's only a problem on Stage 2-3) I decided to search for a JCW turbo.

Found an Alta 42MM turbo instead. Does anyone have experience running this size turbo or similar on the canned AP tunes?

I spoke to JMTC and he advised the stage 3 tune would have the car seeing 26 PSI with that turbo. So I'd say that's out. But their site does say that size turbo works fine on stock tune. Perhaps Stage 1 would work? I don't have a readable wideband to confirm.

My rush is that I have a track day in just over a week and won't have time to custom tune it, I haven't even gotten the turbo on yet. Advice?

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 Guapish_Fliver, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Next week eh? Hmm... All I can think to say is good luck... I didn't even think they still made access port, where did u find that thing?

Bigger turbos don't do well on stock tunes.. When I had a Jcw turbo on stock tune it would still pop into limp like that...

I've been trying to get a big turbo tuned all summer. The current tuner is taking a break because he's pissed off :mad2:

3. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I have a 43/56 hybrid turbo on my '07 S. On stock tune it does well. No limp mode, when I load up the boxed Stage 2 Manic tune set to Map C it does very well. I have had no problems with mine. I have yet to get to the dyno however to see the "number". I'm not inclined to make my car a number.

That being said, anything AP tune related I would steer clear of. Too many issues have been identified over the years. I have no experience with JMTC so I can't give you input there.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    AccessPort has also been called AccesPoop by some users.

5. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    You want a bigger turbo, forget the AP canned tunes --- you need a custom AP tune, and I don't believe there's anyone out there doing them anymore. My suggestion --- install the turbo, then get a Manic tune --- he can tune for up to 30PSI with no cel's. The AP can still be used for code reading / clearing, data logging, etc. It's still a great tool.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have had the AP on other cars and they work great. But I agree you will need a custom tune on it. Or you could sell it over on the other site and get a Jan tune.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Manic Tune .... LMAO

More like maniac tunes, how many more cars have to blow up until they finally go under? I know they are huge on the fantasy world of LXM and Facebook but then again its still Facebook.

8. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I have an Access Port and I really like it. You don't need a custom tune, if you have he stock turbo. The canned tunes are conservative, so there is no worry that you will blow up your engine, it still gives significant horsepower gains.

9. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Baahha! Maniac tunes... I like that..:eek:ut:

10. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I ended up doing the track day on stock tune. Would go limp mode if I tried ANY AP tunes.

I can certainly see the dislike for it. On the street the torque rush at lower RPM is great. But top end barely feels faster than stock. I had it on for an autox and actually found the car easier to drive thereby faster on stock tune.

If I could find a tuner that will do an AP custom tune that would be great. I'm skeptical on Manic just because it's a significant sunk cost and I doubt the engine's longevity after. For street and maybe even drag strip use I'd be less skeptical. But 20-30 mins of abuse at Sebring or Homestead...

11. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Crazy to see the difference. I'd be 42/56.

I guess I should put it on with the expectation that I'd have to get Manic tune (most conservative, wouldn't even get a switch). But if it runs just fine I'll leave it as is.

12. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  14. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yea it's old AF and closest thing I find id info on the JMTC version.

But if the tune file exists I just need to find/buy it.