Borla S-Type exhaust not aggressive at all!?? - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 2nd Generation MINI > Tuning & Modification :: 2nd Generation MINI > Cooper S / Clubman S Engine & Drivetrain

» Random Garage

TF0072

t955152
» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Stage 2

Borla S-Type exhaust not aggressive at all!??

Last weekend I installed my new Borla S-Type exhaust system (#140517, updated version) and it's barely louder than my stock exhaust! My brother helped out installing it and even he was shocked at the lack of sound, no stranger to my stock exhaust he stated it is as loud as my stock exhaust that we just hacksawed off. Second cat still there, I'm in CA.

I'm running the stock intake and have a clean, healthy engine since I had the walnut blasting done along with new plugs and combustion chambers cleaned up using three bottles of BG 44k across three tanks. I have noticed quite a bit more mid-range power, just would like the sound to go with it. Is it possible that I mistakenly received a Touring muffler instead of the S-Type that's supposed to sound aggressive?

I have heard some S-Types on YouTube on same year (2007 MCS) and model that sound very aggressive when compared with mine! I wonder if Borla sells a resonator delete for their exhaust systems to make them louder...? Where is that deep aggressive sound? What can I do to make it louder and yes I love obnoxious.

Thanks,
Systemlord.
Systemlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Stage 6

I've heard that turbo engined cars tend to be quieter. If there is resonator maybe you can remove that for more sound.

2006 R53 HB/W BLU BRIT
1995 NOT N MG Roadster
2008 R55 SKOOBY Justa Clubster

124,000 miles motored...

"If you can't go fast with 90hp, 900hp won't help you...."
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Dazed but not Confused

What Crash said... Lose the resonator if it's there.

'05 CR/B R53... ...'70 Austin Cooper S MkII
CROC #91101 - "Never Forget"
Vices and Habits Supported By: Dr. Patel, BWR Motorsport, Chilled Adult Beverage and Extenze!
Caution: Not at all politically correct.
Firebro17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Stage 4

Also keep in mind the longer it's on the louder it gets. It will break in.

I had a Borla on my R50 and it got so loud I hated it.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
Stage 2

What is the theory behind the exhaust getting louder as time goes on, maybe at first you liked it loud and just started to annoy you after some time? As far as the resonator is concerned it came with the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system. What is the point of a resonator in the first place?

If I end up going with a resonator delete I might as well delete the second cat, is there a place that specializes in custom piping going from the DP/cat straight to the Borla muffler?

Last edited by Systemlord; 01-02-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Systemlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links