Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Improving shifter feel...Helix short shifter or something else?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by andyroo, Nov 11, 2009.

1. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Another one of my "arrived 5 years too late to the Mini scene" threads....:lol:

The shifter feel in my 2005 MCS is a little sloppy. Are there any bushings I can use to reduce side to side play? Or are the short shift kits the only option? I'm not really familiar with the Mini shifter design.

I don't really mind the length of the shift throws so much but wouldn't complain if they were shorter. I don't want to lower the shifter height at all.

So the Helix kit sounds like a good piece at a good price. Stock height, shorter throws, easy-ish install. Increases shift effort apparently which should reduce play and improve feel.

Yeah i should just get it since it's so cheap, but just curious what other's thoughts were on the kit.

- Andrew

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I think I may just get a heavier shift knob (i.e. Whalen) and call it a day. I share your view that I do not want a lowered shifter, but a shorter throw might be OK. From all that I have spoken to, there are mixed feelings about the shift kits, but the heavier knob is something everyone likes.

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The Whalen shift Machine knobs are freakin awesome, I have one in each of my MINI's. So that is a good place to start, cause even if you get a short shifter you can transfer the knob.

But for short shifters we'll installed a bunch. I don't like the Alta's the screws make it hard to adjust and sometime the screws will even come loose even after they were tight. So I've been using the Cravenspeed short shifters and they have worked great. Much easier to adjust and on the R56's when you install it you don't even have to shorten the throw and the shifter will automaticly feel super solid, not like butter.

4. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So the Cravenspeed shifter can be left with stock throw and height on R53's? I like the stock throw but sometimes wish the shifter felt a little tighter, I think it has loosened with age.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No one has mentioned checking the bushings on the shifter cables for wear...

6. B&M short shift kit is very nice. i have it on my R50 and the throw is short, but its not uncomfortably short. it's actually very precise when you shift gears. and the height is lower, of course, but for me personally i like the short throw and low height of the knob.

the whole kit makes your shifting much tighter and it makes your mini even more fun to drive. :cool:

and if anybody knows, does the cravenspeed shift well cover fit with the B&M ssk rod? i dont want to get it and find out that the hole for the rod doesnt match with the shifter rod itself. i've always loved the clean non-leather boot look replaces with a nice flat plate. reminds me of racing lol.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I believe the CraveSpeed Shift Well Cover works with all the shifters. But to be safe I'd drop them a note and ask Kellen [email protected]

Please let us all know, or ask Kellen to post in this thread.

8. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    You don't have to ask...

Our shift well cover will fit almost any shifter, including the B&M. Only the alta has install problems because the slide plate doesn't fit around the set screw thing so you have to cut the plate first.

You can use the shifter at stock height, and then adjust it really quick whenever you want. I don't even always stop driving to mess with it, but our lawyers would say that you need to stop the car first.

-=Kellen

9. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    #10 andyroo, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    details?

there's a cheap used helix ssk in the nam marketplace, i'm gonna pick it up.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Very cool and good to know. I agree w/ jb - would rather have something cleaner than the shift boot w/ my B&M, but I hadn't even thought of the Craven well cover.

11. i wonder if there are people out there who's done the B&M ssk with the shift well cover. i'd really like to see what would look better, the silver shaft rod with the black or silver cover.

12. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    B&M with Shift Well

If I remember correctly, this is a B&M shifter in this customer's photo...
    [​IMG]
    Of course, our new model does not have any visible screws like this one. However, if you prefer the screws and we do have some older versions reserved for special requests.

13. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ^ that does look kinda neat.

Nathan, do you have details on checking the bushings or cables for wear that you mentioned?

- drew

14. dang that looks awesome.
    shift well cover fore sure in the near future
    :p

15. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I picked up one of the visible screw covers at one of our local shows, back in September. I was parked next to the Craven location, and got to talking to Tristan about the well covers. Decided to break into my "emergency MINI play fund" to get it.

Back to the original question that spawned this thread, I have one of the Helix ssk and a Whalen knob, and it's a nice, tight feeling. Stock height is good, slightly shorter throw is good, and the feel that the Whalen adds, both in weight as well as that nice solid knob, is great. I may want to replace the stick at some point, to get a cleaner look since I put the well cover in place, but for now, I'm loving it as is.

16. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When if first saw this I said to myself: What is that, the hundred cup-holder mat?

17. hahaha i just noticed that.
    ...maybe it does hold cups oooo

18. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    awesome pictures and details on the shift well covers...really....they look great.

but does anyone have any feedback on the Helix kit? :lol:

- Adnrew

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've been using the Helix kit for quite some time. Very happy with it but did have to make some mods. Sorry no images.

As the Helix method lengthens the shaft below the fulcrum point the cover could not go back on. With the Stahl header I was running at the time when a window was open quite a bit of heat would come into the cabin area. The downtubes got so hot during a track session the one could not rest a leg against it. We ended up fabricating a new cover and all was fine.