Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S De-cat or Megan header?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Tummi_Gummi, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I have the OEM header with a gutted cat but I could reach the pre cat which I've heard is the most restrictive since it catches everything and builds up. My question is should I pull it and try to find some type of wire that I can bend and shank the precat out with or just buy the Megan header for 240? I have a fully modded mini minus a bv head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I would, personally, go with a muffler bearing upgrade, instead. OEM muffler bearings are a huge drag on horsepower.

CD

3. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I have an invidia n1 cat back with resonator delete. I have every bolt on and a race cam.

4. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Well, not eeeeevery bolt on. You need a header remember :wink: :D :devil:

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    If'n you have a much modified engine doesn't it stand to reason you would want to free up the exhaust with a less restrictive header ??

6. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I heard the OEM header was already bigger than the ports on the head? Is this not true? I have Ddm works CAI, racing engine mounts, SSK, Air diverter, race cam, tune, 15% pulley, catback

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Everyone I have talked to has said the RMW header is the best on the market.

8. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Okay, so this is a race car. I wasn't sure. Laws are different for street cars. So, get you a coat hanger and a drill and gut those pre-cats.

CD

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    R53s don't have a pre cat. You can get a high flow cat so you don't lose any performance.

10. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If I'm not mistaken if you gut the cat the cpu will not be happy because it is expecting to see different readings between the pre-cat sensor and the post-cat sensor. You would definitely need a tune that compensates for that. I've done gutted cats or cat by-pass in the past but they were on older cars that only had 1 sensor pre-cat.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Since you are into making poor decisions buy the Megan header. :Thumbsup: :popcorn::lol:

12. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Captain troll

Well, What OS the cat looking thing between the runners and the flex joint? Looks like the cat but mini. Is this not a pre cat? And all that removing the cat will do is give p0420 code and give Leonardo DiCaprio a heart attack.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    When I put headers and exhaust on my Mini I did not de-cat. I just don't see the use. In the old days before high flow cats I would. But now You are not losing by keeping a cat if you go with a high flow one. You can get a RMW shorty header with a high flow cat for around $1000. This is the best solution out there. I wish I had known about it when I did my exhaust. Now I get to do it agin.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Troll :lol::lol::lol:

It's not a pre cat it's called a collector for the four exhaust pipes before the connect to the flex section. It's also known as a sh!tty MINI design. Save your pennies and buy an RMW street header. While you are saving for a quality header try reading more and posting less. :ihih:

You would learn a lot.

15. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Same to you. People wouldn't bash you quite as much. They might forget about you but then this forum would be boring without its drama queen.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Really that's the best comeback you have. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not to mention I was right about your OEM exhaust manifold.

17. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Chill....I think Dave-o has some VERY valid points...
    Let's face it...your mini experience has been...er...uneven, with a steep learning curve. Folks are just trying to help guide you...
    If you don't want to learn from our experiences, don't ask, and certainly don't ridicule us please.....
    Cheap headers work...for a bit..the OBX units are famous for cracking...the lack of a flex joint...
    IMO since you have " every bolton possible " the stock header is holding you back...get the best, the RMW, weld on a high flow cat, and be done....if you want to go pennywise and pound foolish....well...we will keep reading your threads.... Maybe even reply. Honestly, they are somewhat entertaining....everybody knows somebody who seems to have terrible luck...the equivalent of a slow motion train wreck...and here we get to read what goes into it...
    My take...
    Buy your parts, have a good car....
    Buy junk parts cheap...have a junk car.
    Nuff said. You have spent so much to this point, on a STOCK HEADER....wow...if you want too keep the car, get a good one...
    If you expect the dump it in a few months, toss an OBX or eBay special on it...either way, it's not gonna pass inspection, so it better be an off road race car only.
    If you want a street legal car...the RMW header, with a cat is a good choice.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #18 Nathan, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Being it's Earth Day and all....

Use a catalytic converter dang it, your grandchildren will thank you.

As to header choices.

OBX or Ebay - JUNK

Megan - Slightly better Junk

Manzo - Even worse than OBX level in junkiness, a waste of metal.

Milltek - Nice stuff

RMW - Really nice stuff, come in short or race.

There may be others out there. I have seen and / or used all of the above.

We've had this discussion, it's fine that you bring it back, always nice to cover old material to see if anything has changed. http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s-engine-and-drivetrain/13975-r53-headers.html

19. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Just tired of Dave's attitude. Thanks everyone. I don't post very often anyways. I come and go, never really been to impressed the hospitality here. There are a few nice people on here that have been very informative and then some that have just been moody. I'll probably just go for a Megan header for now. Maybe when I get the sprintex and BVH I'll grab a rmw when I get the rmw head so I can have it blueprinted and a gasket to match.

20. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    And I don't have smog testing here. My inspection guy just pulls my car in to look like he's doing it and honks the horn then writes down my vin. I've known him for 10 years. He was passing my Suzuki with straight pipe from the turbo out. And sorry but I'm not an environmentalist. A little 1.6L isn't going to make much difference and I am not really open to discuss it. I don't like cats and don't really care to use them on a modded car. My audi is bone stock including the exhaust and that's what I drive most the time if that helps anyone sleep better.