Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S ECU Master? Heard of them?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Stumbled upon this today.

http://ecumasterusa.com/shop/ecumaster-emu-mini-cooper-r53/

Anyone heard of them. What I find odd is that they only have the ECU for MINI and some Japanese Cars.

That and I found about them via an MC2 email, a source I trust to help me find the worst in the MINI realm.

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 Guapish_Fliver, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    So if it's not taking readings from the factory map or maf sensor then how is it determining air/fuel?

They're saying it has a "built in" 4 bar map sensor but the short description leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Why would anyone buy or even look something even remotely linked to MC2?

It's a POS knock off of a ViPEC so it is a complete waste of time. I am sure ALTA will be selling it soon along with M7 and WMW. :rolleyes::lol:

4. slo_crx1

slo_crx1 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Photographer
    North East Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I has a 4 bar map sensor that's pre-scaled, I believe it's like a standard GM 4 bar sensor and probably only uses the TMAP sensor for intake temp. I've seen the videos of it during tuning for big power Supra's and DSM's, it's actually fairly straight forward to use as far as standard speed density stand alone's go, but I don't think it's completely "plug n play" for Mini's in the fact that you would still need to create a base map to start from and scale in your injector size, voltages, and latency.

Biggest reason people look at ViPec is because they have pre-loaded base maps to get people started and can run completely on stock sensors if need be. Great for the supercharger guys, not so great for turbo conversions. Even if assuming it's set for a stock M45 type base, the fueling will end up being lean typically for a turbo swap since chargers tend to run a tad leaner than turbo'd motors (lower BSFC) due to the compressor efficiency (most of us would sit around 45-50% max efficiency range, properly sized turbo will sit anywhere from 65-75%). Also since the stock TMap is limited for higher pressure ranges, most ditch them anyone in favor of higher limits for turbo conversions.

This is probably why so many had issues with stock ecu's trying to tune for turbo conversions; lack of ability to run higher pressure ratios, and different VE for BSFC.

5. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Donald Bram i think had mentioned them at some point.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That in a roundabout way is how I learned of the company. For you see he's used the collective membership of the FB group to wrangle a ton of free, yet no name, stuff in an attempt with Barry the Bad to create some sort of show car.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    They have already done that with the Gray and White MINI "Alter Ego" or as it's really known " ALTA EGO" :lol: Full of M7 crap and riding on airbags. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    That abomination again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah remember that thing. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I shoulda parked on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. slo_crx1

slo_crx1 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Photographer
    North East Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Colin that's actually how I first heard about them too, about a year ago or so I believe. I'm always open to other options if it does what it's supposed, from what I gather it's pretty much the same as the Ultratech ecu with maybe a different GUI. It's supposed to interface with the factory CAN system too which would put it at the same basic entry point as the Vipec PnP, but more than likely without the basic map that Vipec provides.

Plus for the price, it doesn't sit too far past FA53's price tag. Then again, I never thought I would waste the money to build a car that costs more than $500 for a flash programmer (silly japanese cars and their cheap tuning solutions). :crazy:

12. slo_crx1

slo_crx1 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Photographer
    North East Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LXM, where the Mini owner who can't change their own oil goes to brag about their Mini. At first I didn't realize why they got such a bad name, but after a while I started to see.

I've seen some conversations where he goes back and forth arguing with Jan and various others, but then the discussion disappears into thin air and a post is made about respecting all Mini owners. What exactly is the reasoning behind all the free stuff and this Barry deal? I never see him make any progress on the car except for when it breaks down.

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    He bans everyone who either disagrees with him, or is an RMW fan. As soon as he starts looking bad on LXM or any other FB forum, which is often, *poof*, the post is gone.

I got banned for guilt by association, even though I didn't break the rules on LXM--he banned me on LXM because of a disagreement we had on MMC, an entirely different forum; on LXM I even complimented a few of the worthwhile mods he did on his car, go figure.

He has little man's syndrome, and obviously is overcompensating with the "Bramhammer", perhaps the most ridiculous invention ever on facebook....

That being said, I don't hate LXM, it's just not a good site for performance modification information (in fact, it's horrible for that--so much misinformation and disinformation, with so many agendas, pretty much like NAM was). As a community, and for cosmetic modification, it's actually pretty good for what it is. It should stick to that; anyone who looks to Bram for performance advice should ask Hillary how to set up an email server.

14. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Im still not sure why he banned me. He wants me to come ask him.
    I dont actually care.

I would personally buy the vipec if you are serious about doing a turbo conversion, that ecu actually has a good number of people using them and thus support when you run into issues.
    One has run my car for the last several years without problem.
    and the support from that vendor has been fantastic.

15. slo_crx1

slo_crx1 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Photographer
    North East Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha! The end part is the best I've heard in a long time!

Heck, there are a lot of times I disagree with Jan on certain things, and his attitude tends to wear a little thin after a while (but I guess that's what happens when you deal with a certain type of mini owners for so long), but even still I never take it to heart or hold a grudge because of it and I can respect what he does and the experience he has.

Regardless, I don't think the Ecumaster is a bad option for someone who knows what they're doing already. For the average user that needs a stand alone and requires it to be tuned from someone familiar with it, then I'd say ViPec is probably the better option since it's been around longer.

16. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    what is LXM

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    League of Xtreem Morons !

Its a Facebook group lead by Hitler.

18. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The leader of the group that has threatened too sue M/A on at least one occasion.....
    Just consider it to be a faction of wayward MINI owners that have not found m/a....
    LXM become a bit of an ecco chamber but the funny thing is anybody who wants to give their leader cheap junk gets to get proclaimed "the best", regardless of the quality of the item.....many of us were asked to join....even givec#'s...
    But ethically, it's crooked from the top IMO....kinda anti-mini owners helping owners....if something is crap, we will tell you...no filter...
    Not so much on NAM.....and on LXM they try to get you to actively by craop....

19. slo_crx1

slo_crx1 New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Photographer
    North East Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the most retarded thing I've heard, how do you even try to sue a forum in the first place?

Hey, free is free I guess, even if it is cheap junk. That's if you want a car that looks like it came right out of the first Fast & Furious movie anyway. I'd love to have someone sponsor me an ecu or at least a ByteTronik FA53 so I can at least get some answers as to how the ecu itself operates, but I don't see that in my future because apparently I don't advertise enough cheap junk lol. I'm cheap to a degree (my turbo build is cheap only because I have a lot of excess crap laying around), but I'll spend some money where it's needed, and I won't cheap out on suspension either. I played with enough chinese knock-off coilover sets in my younger days to realize how bad they are.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This, like most other forums has an owner of some sort. A legal action can be attempted against that entity. An uninformed, wanna-be bully, like Donald Bram, the nitwit behind LXM, doesn't care if there is any merit to the action.