1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help - rear window washer not spraying

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MoBluz, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MoBluz

MoBluz New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Tech Writer
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I'm a new owner of an '05 S. I made sure that my window- and headlamp-cleaning reservoirs are full. Headlamp and windshield cleaning works fine. However, no cleaner sprays out to clean the rear window when it's supposed to. I suspect there might be a clog somewhere, but I have no idea how to find and clear it. Any helpful hints/directions would be much appreciated.

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    The same was true when I bought my '08 MCS. Eventually I had to have a pump replaced, along with the end nozzle. I hope you have better luck!

3. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    The nozzle can be removed with your thumb nail, don't ream it out with a pin and enlarge the hole. Then operate the pump to see if it squirts fluid out. You will probably find some junk behind the hole in the nozzle, just pick it out with a broom straw, blow through it then snap it back in. Adjust spay pattern with the edge of a dime, remember you took note of where the slot was pointing.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You can pull the nozzle part of the rear wiper away from the arm. This will give you access to the metal nipple. You can then operate the washer to see if the pump is working or if the nipple itself is clogged up.

This is a yearly (at least) occurrence for me. I have a section of copper wire that I use to clear out the metal nipple.

5. MoBluz

MoBluz New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Tech Writer
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips! It's dark by the time I get home, so I haven't done anything yet, but I will give it a shot this weekend. You folks are terrific; I'm not used to such quick, helpful replies. :cool:

6. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad New Member

May 18, 2010
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The thin metal dental picks the hygienist uses on you at the dentist's office work great for cleaning out clogged washer nozzles. You can pick up a "non-medically approved" set at most auto parts stores.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  8. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    #8 Norm03s, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    If you do this as ScottinBend suggests, you will find the O ring that seals the plastic nozzle part to the metal nipple, it may be that your O ring is shot.

I found that a #60 O ring fits perfectly if you need to replace yours.

9. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0

Great idea! I stuck a toothpick in mine a few years ago and it broke off. Hasn't worked since and I keep hoping that it degrades enough to shoot out, but not yet.

10. h2oskier62

h2oskier62 New Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #10 h2oskier62, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Gallery
    I have a 2003 Cooper S. The washer worked for the front windshield but not the back window. As they are the same washer pump I started at the rear of the car.

I cleaned out the orifice for the sprayer for the rear and it still didn't spray. I took off the rear wiper and tried again, no fluid. I did not see a puddle of fluid on the floor so knew that it was a clog and not a disconnected hose. Also the sound of the washer motor was higher on the clogged rear wiper than the front, also indicating a clogged hose. I noticed that the fluid runs through the wiper shaft itself and had rusted the pipe closed. I took off the inner panel of the rear hatch (4-6 screws, then pry the panel off it is held with small metal clips, quite easy). I took off the back of the wiper motor gearbox (4 small screws) to get to the backside of the wiper shaft. I then used a 3/32 drill bit and by hand started auguring out the rust-filled shaft. The shaft and therefore the water passage is straight so will not be damaged by the drill bit. I was able to get the small bit all the way through the shaft. The shaft will accept slightly larger bit but it would not go all the way through even after a lot of spinning the bit (all done by hand). I then reattached the washer hose to the shaft and ran the motor without the wiper blade (so not to clog the washer nozzle) to flush out the rust particles and now I had fluid. I cleaned out the shaft several times and flushed it with fluid several times until the shaft was as clean as I could get it. I put it all back together and now have an operating rear washer.

I would imagine all of the older Minis will have this problem as the steel shaft will rust. I also think that occasional use of the washer would delay or prevent this as the microscopic rust particles from the shaft will get flushed out instead of collecting and closing off the passage.

To "minintrigue" I would think that you could use the 3/32" drill bit to augur out the broken toothpick. I spin it with my fingers and NOT a drill as to not cause damage to the steel nipple.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!

12. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    If you need a new pump, I've got one for cheap.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I removed the rear wiper for a cleaner look and plugged the whole.
    I use Rain-X on the rear glass on only drive looking out the front window. :rolleyes::p:ihih: