M7 Ram-2 Hood Scoop - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 2nd Generation MINI > Cooper S

» Random Garage

B. D. Cooper

TurbineMD
» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Racing with the Gods

Question M7 Ram-2 Hood Scoop

Just ordered M7's Ram-2 scoop and will do the install. Has anyone done this and are there any hassles to watch for? I've already got their turbo heat shield so the composite scoop should be OK. Just trying to lower the under hood temp as much as possible to save the paint. FYI: Yup, my OEM scoop drooped, replaced and drooped again. I gave up. Probably what the dealer wanted all along.
BEELZEBUB ,'08 MCSm, DS/B, Sport, LSD, 17X7 Konig Britelites, NM/RacDyn F/R STB's, H-Sport 25.5mm RSB & Rear Camber Arms, NM Springs, End links, Torque Bushing & SS Lines, EBC Sport Rotors & Red Stuff F/R pads, Koni Yellows F/R. RMW MOD. BOOST TUNE, Helix FMIC w/TD, DoS CAI, NM Boost Tubes & SSA, Alta 3" Cat Bac & Hard Turbo Inlet Tube, Audi Diverter Valve, 42 DD/BSH OCC, Open CF Scoop, JCW CF Wing, CF Splitter, JCW Recaro Seat.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Banned

Last edited by Nitrominis; 09-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Nitrominis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Stage 1

I bought the same scoop but have not installed it. The instructions appear to be clear and it doesn't look like you should have any trouble. One hole to drill but you should have received the appropriate size bit.

My scoop is still in the box because I can't decide now whether or not I want it. See...I just had viper stripes put on and they go right over the Chili Red OEM scoop. Looks really sweet, IMO
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Racing with the Gods

Smile Hot M7 Heat Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrominis View Post
I recently got to see the turbo heat shield. I thought it was a very nice looking piece. Until I placed my hand on it after my guest came from a short drive in 72f weather. Ouch! Cosmetically speaking I give it a 10 function 6. You can dramatically improve the heat transfer to the bottom of the hood by placing a section of Thermal Tech Heat Protection on the underside of the hood and scoop area. And if you want to achieve a touchable heat barrier you can wrap the shield with Thermal tech wrapping used for exhaust products like headers. It won't win any looks awards but you won't ever get a sagging scoop.
Of course the shield was hot. The whole engine bay is being "warmed" by heat from the turbo, radiator, intercooler and A/C condenser. When driving the heat gets blown thru. When you stop, the bay turns into an oven. You can literally cook dinner in there (cook books are available). I was thinking about that Thermal stuff on the hood just to protect the paint. Also toying with wrapping it around the air box intake tube to lower the intake air temp. Might be a CAI that actually brings in cold outside air! My gauges show a 20-30 degree difference between outside temps and air intake temps.
BEELZEBUB ,'08 MCSm, DS/B, Sport, LSD, 17X7 Konig Britelites, NM/RacDyn F/R STB's, H-Sport 25.5mm RSB & Rear Camber Arms, NM Springs, End links, Torque Bushing & SS Lines, EBC Sport Rotors & Red Stuff F/R pads, Koni Yellows F/R. RMW MOD. BOOST TUNE, Helix FMIC w/TD, DoS CAI, NM Boost Tubes & SSA, Alta 3" Cat Bac & Hard Turbo Inlet Tube, Audi Diverter Valve, 42 DD/BSH OCC, Open CF Scoop, JCW CF Wing, CF Splitter, JCW Recaro Seat.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Racing with the Gods

Talking M7 Ram2 Scoop And Air Intake Temp

Put the M7 scoop on last night. Final sword into the heart of the scoop droop dragon. Took Beelzebub out mid-day in stop & go traffic to see if there was any change in intake air temp. Didn't really expect any. BIG SURPRISE!! My ScanGauge had been showing temps ~30 degrees above ambient in that kind of driving. Today, it held steady at ~10 degrees over ambient! Have I accidentally stumbled across a true COAI (Cold "Outside" Air Intake)? Am now more seriously looking at wrapping the air inlet tube in that aerogel backed silver foil blanket stuff.
When I pulled the 2nd OEM scoop off, I saw/felt why the 1st one and everybody else's melted. Typical over-engineering and then made with cheap, POS plastic. Also discovered the M7 heat shield doubles as a dandy tool rest!
I BE VERY HAPPY CAMPER
Dwight
PS: Scoop looks nasty against DS/B.
Attached Thumbnails
M7 Ram-2 Hood Scoop-dscn0135.jpg  
Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Stage 0 - Stock

Smile Looking for a RED HOOD SCOOP

hey guys I really need ur help... 2 weeks ago, I was driving on hwy n my hood scoop flew again..n was unable to find it...please if u have one I prefer red color I really need it cux my car look so bad without one...

please email me at pradog85@gmail.com

Hope to hear from someone...

Thanks
Pradog85 is offline   Reply With Quote