2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Oil Filter Housing Repair - Advice Please?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mona912, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Administrative Assistant for Oil Refining
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Mini Cooper S 2008 R56 - Oil leaks which never ceased to end :( After diagnostics from BMW - Just fixed the valve gasket cover and the tensioner timing chain. I noticed my mini is still leaking. I just called BMW to get a quote, the guy said it will be 6 hours job and a quote of $1500! I just need some advice and tips here from you guys. I'm trying to get an independent auto shop to fix it instead. Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    So is it the oil filter housing that is leaking??? Maybe just the plastic canister?? Or you dont yet know?... If that is the case an independent shop is probably a good idea, especially if any of your CA Mini friends have any good recommendations!

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes the "O" ring seal can get nipped when screwing the top back on during an oil change. If so... it can leak under pressure. It's easy to verify.... Just replace the existing filter with a new unit and be careful with the "O" ring that is included in the box. Try to stick with the OEM or Mann filters. Don't be tempted with aftermarket...

Also, the torque requirements for the plastic top are not very high.... Someone could have over torqued it and cracked the top and maybe it's leaking as a result....

Two relatively inexpensive suggestions in trying to find the leak....:Thumbsup:

4. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes as per BMW's diagnostics oil filter housing needs to be fixed. I will have to call the mechanic who fixed the tensioner last week for a quote on the oil filter housing tomorrow. Odd though the loud sound is still there after replacing the tensioner timing chain. Is that normal?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who drives a mini other than myself :(

5. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Metalman - does it really take 6 hours to do? Where can I purchase the parts? From BMW? Sorry I'm lost :-/. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #6 Minidave, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Are you sure what the mech said was leaking? Could it have been the oil cooler?

The part the filter screws into is all aluminum, where the filter cover is plastic. I would go with metalman's suggestion that you replace the filter with a factory one and replace the cover, lube the o-ring well and don't overtighten the cover. Remember, the o-ring makes the seal, the cover only has to be tight enough to not come loose.

The filter cover will be a dealer only part I'd guess, and as long as you're there buy a filter too.

I'm not sure but it sounds like you're having a non MINI dealer mechanic work on it, maybe that's what's the root of your continuing problems? Or by BMW do you mean MINI? I would not use a BMW shop for my MINI repairs, unless it's a combo dealer. There are some good MINI independant shops in the Bay area I'm sure. See if there's a local MINI club you can ask for help....

Changing just the filter and cover should not take more than 30 min tops.

7. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    yes it is the housing

The oil filter housing on these engines is a really poor bit of engineering. When off and in your hand, looking at the sealing surfaces, you can see a longish 5 inch section of curved recess that holds the o ring-with-NO bolts passing through it to clamp it to the block. there are 4 attatching bolts, all on the opposite side. Then the cat is positioned right above this unclamped side-so-the oil filter housing itself warps away from the block and begins leaking oil or coolant or both. We charge 6.5 hours at 99.00/hour and the part is about 230.00. On the upside, if there is one, the part comes with the orings and a new filter and cap already installed. sorry for your troubles, this is a common R56 issue, we fix at least one a month.

8. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Mona912,

I have used Mini of Mountain View and their service was excellent. I was even given a free loaner. If you'd like, the advisor I worked with was Andrew Northrop @ 408-260-4935.

Or, I am available to take a peak at your car Thurs - Sun, if you would like. Maybe an extra pair of eyes will help, and we can change your filter housing as a start.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ahhh you have to the the French R56....:devil::crazy::frown2::mad2:

10. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    off the car view

the screwdriver is pointing at the leak area, notice no bolt holes along that entire side

[​IMG]

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Engineering Weak Sauce Right There....:mad:

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Me thinks that is some fine BMW engineering there. Would the French bother with an oil filter?

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Good point.... Engineered to leak... Just keep topping up with fresh oil. No need for a filter.

And you guys thought your MINI used oil.... It was designed to......

14. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    what a coincidence, my '07 is in for the exact same thing.:mad2: I was also quoted 6 hours labour, though they said it was only the gaskets that had to be replaced.

15. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    My experience-which is only once-is the gaskets do not permanently cure the issue. After redoing one for free except for the price of the housing, I never dig in there without a new housing-way too much work to do over. The o rings leak due to the lack of clamping on that side and the metal warping away-it is not dramatic enough to see with a straight edge, cold and off the car, but I would insist on a housing. lesson learned here.

16. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    too late, jobs already finished. I checked the receipt, they only changed the gaskets, not the housing.:nonod:

17. Motoring Magic

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    well if it is not already leaking, you are ahead of the game-let us know if it holds or re-fails.

18. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks :). But I'm actually trying to avoid BMW or Mini altogether due to their extravagant charge. I spent a lot lately and just couldn't understand why my Mini is still leaking. I'm trying to find an alternative like an independent mechanic who doesn't charge so much. The leak isn't bad like when the turbo line leaked. Like my coworker's comment my mini is just sweating because I drove it fast!

19. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

20. mona912

mona912 New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Benicia, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your advice and suggestion :)