1st Gen R53 Cooper S Heat not working, MINI overheating!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by panaphobic, Jan 24, 2013.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So this morning was a real cold one. About 0ºF here. I started my MINI and let it warm up. I have a ScanGaugeII so I have it display the water temp at all times just to monitor it and MINIs don't have that feature, just a dummy light. So the water temp gets up to about 165ºF when I get back in my MINI to drive to work. So I turn on the heat and drive down the road and noticed the heat was blowing cold air still and the water temp had reached 200ºF! So I turned around and made it home, and it was almost up to 215ºF. So I popped the hood, carefully removed the coolant tank cap, and checked the coolant level and it was perfectly fine. After letting it sit about 10 minutes, I started my MINI again and it started to overheat again and the heater still wasn't working. So I let it sit for about 10 mins again and tried it again. Started my MINI and the temp was about 195ºF when I turned the heater on it finally started working! And then I noticed the temp gauge dropping quickly down to about 180ºF which it normally runs at during cold spells like this.

So I'm trying to figure out exactly what could be going on here. I know one time earlier this winter when it was about this cold, the heater did the same thing but it started working a couple minutes later, but my MINI didn't overheat at all or even get above 200ºF like it did today. So what do you guys think could be going on here? The coolant isn't very old, probably about a little over a year old. I never had this happen before. Bad water pump? Bad heater? What do you guys think might be the problem?

I have a 2005 Cooper S (R53) with about 150K miles.

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Maybe your thermostat is failing.

Dave

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I replaced the thermostat about 3 years ago. I looked at the housing on it this morning and it's not leaking like it did last time when it was bad. I will obviously keep that in mind though.

4. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    My mini hits 220 in traffic before the fans turn on. It quick drops back down to 195. my cruising temp is right at 188. I wouldn't be too concerned with the temperature. the one time I over heated my mini (when the damper pulley failed) i hit 235 and the high speed fans came on. at that point the factory dummy gauge had just hit the 3/4 mark. it could be possible you have an air pocket in the system I would try bleeding it and see what happens from there.

next time it does this I would let it run till 220 to see if your fans come on. that can narrow down if your engine is truly overheating.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yea....200 is not overheating. In fact the low speed fan doesn't come on til I think 200.

BUT, if you are not getting any heat then there is something wrong. Check the thermostat and the water pump. Both could be the cause.

6. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I got this off the mini mania website

Cooling Fan

Radiator Fan is a nine bladed fan measuring 400mm in diameter, driven by a 350 watt motor controlled by the EMS2000.

Low speed is switched on at 105°C (221° F) coolant temp and off when the temperature drops to 101°C (214° F).

High speed is switched on at 112° C (234° F) and remains on until the system coolant temperature drops by 4° C (39° F) at which point the system will revert to Low Speed.

The cooling fan will also operate on Low Speed when the Air Conditioning is switched on and system pressure reaches 8 bar (116 psi). Should the Air Conditioning system pressure rise to 18 bar (261 psi), the fan will automatically run on the High Speed.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That doesn't seem right as my Scangauge will get to about 205° and immediately drop down to below 200° while running on the street.

8. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info guys!

Yeah the fan never even kicked on from what I could tell. It was brutally cold out this morning, hovering about 7ºF while I was driving. I'm thinking there might be something going on due to it being so cold. Last time the heat wasn't working, it was about this cold out. Unfortunately, it's going to be this cold all week and weekend and I don't have a garage to work in so it's not going to be fun....

9. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Crazy stuff happens when the temp drops as low as it has been the last few days here in New England.....

10. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    From what I have noticed, my running temp is usually 193ºF during the spring/summer/fall, and during the winter it will run anywhere from 180ºF - 193ºF depending on the outside temperature. Normally, the colder it is, the lower it runs at, but that would be expected due to the lower air temperature. It's just weird to me. Does the thermostat control the water flow to and from the heater core? If it doesn't, then I could probably rule that out. I am leaning towards it being caused be the water pump as it would seem more logical. I have high mileage (~150k) and I don't know if it had ever been replaced by the previous owner.

11. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my friend's MINI threw an EML light yesterday and was in limp mode on her way to work. She let it warm up for 30 minutes on her way back from work and didn't have any issues. I'm just guessing it's my MINI's way of saying "Hey! Don't drive me in the winter! Get a winter beater like the rest of New Englanders!"

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You may have air in your system. Open the vent screw and see if antifreeze comes out. If not, with the vent screw off add antifreeze till some comes out the vent screw hole. Once it does replace the vent screw.
    The heater is on the same side of the thermostat that the engine is on. So if the thermostat is not opening causing the engine to get hot the heater would still get hot, very hot. This is why if your engine is starting to get hot you can turn the heater on hi to help slow the overheating. This won't prevent it.
    The other possibility is that you don't have the correct antifreeze mix. This can allow ice to form in the system restricting flow. But if this was the case once the temp got high and melted the blockage everything would work.
    Hope this helps

13. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That sounds logical! I'm pretty sure the mixture is good, but I'm guessing I could flush the system out and replace it with a more concentrated mix instead. It was a 50/50 mix when I replaced it last time, but I am human and can make mistakes! I will try that out and see as my MINI did start working fine after sitting for a while after being hot. Could have easily had a blockage somewhere due to ice forming, and then it finally melted and the heater started working and the whole system dropped down to normal winter running temps.

Thanks everyone for all the info! If you have anything else you think it could be, by all means let me know!

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I regularly drive in below freezing temps and have not seen this kind of thing and my heater works great....lol

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've been driving in those same conditions without issues. Although I don't have a scan gauge giving me coolant temps. I'm wondering if your heater valve is functioning. Your tempos sure would give you heat from the heater.

16. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm leaning toward a bad mixture like MCS02 stated. I think that would be a good place to start as this could easily cause the problem, and also check for air in the system. Then from there I will figure out if it could be the pump or the heater, and then possibly the thermostat. Hopefully a new batch of coolant and no air in the lines fixes it! I will definitely let your guys know!

17. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just went out and check my MINI. It's a comfortable 20ºF out right now, check the motor to make sure it was completely cold, which it was, and the ScanGaugeII confirmed this as it read the intake air temp and water temp as also being at 20ºF. Fired her up and let her run for a few minute, got up to about 100ºF according to the ScanGaugeII and turned the heat on and it was working fine, well what it should be at that temperature. So I'm guessing it's just a bad coolant mixture being as it's only 13º warmer out and it didn't cause the coolant to freeze anywhere or cause any problems. So I guess I'll be changing out the coolant. How much coolant does the system take if it's empty? Jeffster06 told me to use a turkey baster to remove coolant from the reservoir and then add in unmixed coolant to offset what is currently in the system. I can't recall how much these cars take.

18. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I know when I recently did my thermostat it took about 3/4 of a bottle of premix to fill it back up if that helps. I only made the turkey baster suggestion because that way your not throwing the mix off drastically but you might introduce enough antifreeze to keep it from freezing. kind of a quick fix method until you can flush it and get the proper amount in there. seeing how cold it is there that's probably what I would do. less time in the cold more time in the warmth for beer :beer

19. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I like your way of thinking Jeff! More time in the warmth for beer!

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick note, make sure you're using BMW/MINI coolant or Zerex G-05 mixed with distilled water. Other coolants will leave precipitates (bad chunks) in the cooling system and clog the heater core, radiator, and engine water passages. The MINI coolant is about $20 a jug, and Zerex G-05 can be found for $15.