2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 2008 MINI R56 Base Model Hatch Where is antenna for RDC

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by kentuckynet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. kentuckynet

kentuckynet New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    2008 mini R56 Base Model Hatch Where is antenna for RDC control unit?
    The unit itself is in the boot area with the left rear tailinght but not antenna for it in there???

My tpms system does not work, INACTIVE will not reset. Some people had told me if just one of the sensors in the wheels was bad it would keep the entire system from resetting. I went to a shop today and they said that was not true that it would only stop the one wheel from reporting in.....it would not keep the whole system from resetting making it inactive.

So my thoughts are i have a bed RDC control unit or a bad antenna.
    The only code sayd fron left RDC control unit, it will not clear.
    The tires have been rotated several times so its no longer the front left!

The car was wrecked when i got it, light hot to front left and i had to replace that wheel and sensor.
    It has never worked since.

Please help

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This image has the locations of various antenna's

[​IMG]

This page has all the names of them. None stuck out to me as the RDC one.

3. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    In the wheel wells there is a small black box ( RDC Trigger transmitter ). The wheel sensor sends a signal to the RDC trigger transmitter to the RDC control unit.
    Most likely during the collision the trigger transmitter was damged or left un-plugged.

So check the front left wheel well behind the liner and look for a small black box and see if it is there or if it is damaged and un plugged.

Hopefully that info was helpful.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A :)

My wife's 2008 clubman had a bad TPMS sensor. I could not reset the system until I replaced the dead sensor. Be aware that MINI changed frequencies on the sensors at the end of 2008 I think. Make sure & get the correct one.

Here's a link that explains the cut off date.

MINI Cooper TPMS Sensor

You can buy just 1 sensor if that is what you need. Aaron had the best price when I shopped for one.

5. kentuckynet

kentuckynet New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #1 is the module
    #8 is the part in the wheels

#4 is the receiver ( i thought the module did the receiving) ???????
    #5 is the transmitter ( i thought the sensor in the wheel did the transmitting) ???????

OK i guess my question would be is there a receiver for each wheel that sends a signal to i assume one receiver unit which realys the info to the RDC control module????

If this is correct where is #4 located on my car ....its bad!
    I assume this is the part youre telling me is behind the inner fender on the front left??

Attached Files:

6. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Yes there are 4 wheel sensors and 4 transmitters....(MINI gets better at this as time goes on)....2008 to early 2009 was different....After mid 2009 its a different set up.

There is only 1 antena and it is the #4 in the diagram
    The # 5 is the trigger transmitter ( behind the fender liner )

7. kentuckynet

kentuckynet New Member

May 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Very Much!

8. apride1

apride1 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TPMS / RDC problem in 2008 Mini R56 base model

Like Kentucknet, I am trying to figure out why my TPMS is INACTIVE in my Mini and want to be sure I have the correct location of the components. Is this correct:
    *Wheel Sensors - 4 of them / one in each wheel/tire stem
    *Transmitter - 4 of them / one in each wheel well
    *RDC module - 1 of these in rear boot area left side, in front of HiFi/HK amp, near wheel well
    *Antenna - 1 of these BUT WHERE IS IT LOCATED????

Thanks for your help.

9. wnspecht

wnspecht New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone come up with an answer on the antenna location on this 2008 Clubman? I am asking similar questions about a 2009 Cooper S. On the base Cooper it is supposed to be under the rear of the car, in the center (left to right) between the spare tire well and the rear bumper. But, the Cooper S has the center exhaust pipe and heat shield there, no spare tire well, and I can't find the antenna.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/24738-tire-pressure-monitoring-tpm-malfunction-message.html

10. slab

slab New Member

May 11, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TPM antenna location

On my 2008 Clubman S, I found the RDC antenna under a panel at the right rear of the body, near the front right corner of the gas tank.

If you follow the plastic rocker panel cover on the right side of the car back to the rear wheel, under the body, it overlaps another black plastic panel that covers the antenna and what may be the carbon canister. It's about a foot long and 6 inches wide, I guess. This piece covers the underbody area near the front of the right rear wheel well. It's held in place by three plastic panel plugs with phillips-head insert screws, a plastic nut, and a rear-facing metal panel screw. Two of the panel plugs overlap into holes at the rear of the rocker panel cover. The other plug is in a crevice in the center of the panel.

Anyway, you'll need to remove that panel to access the antenna. You can catch a small glimpse of the antenna if you shine a light while lying on the ground facing the rear of the car at the bottom of the wheel well near the intersection of the rocker panel cover and the cover at the rear of it. I found it easiest to remove the entire cover to get a good grip on the antenna to pull it out of its holder, but you might be able to drop the front of the panel and sneak a hand in there. The antenna holder is attached to the front end of what looks like the emissions control carbon canister.

Replacing this cleared my CC-ID 149 code with TPM Malfunction error message. Good luck, and thanks to the previous posters for their insight.